"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Electricity for the Telephone Man

Started by Greg G., June 06, 2011, 05:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Snagged this from ebay.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

Greg G.

I think it's a training manual.  It has questions at the end of each chapter.  Here's the first page of the contents and questions for the first chapter:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

I would so read that! Where can I get a copy? :)

Greg G.

Quote from: deedubya3800 on June 06, 2011, 03:59:29 PM
I would so read that! Where can I get a copy? :)

You can click on the link to ebay in my first post if you want your own copy.  Or I have it on cd in jpg formats, pm me.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

Thanks! I'm seriously gonna have to take a look at this. I've already bookmarked it. Right now, though, I have to help clean the bathroom. :-\

Ed D

"Electricity for the Telephone Man."  Sounds like something the last technician out to my house should have read.

He was kneeling on the damp ground while working on the wiring in the phoneco box out along the street.  Boy, he moved fast for about a half-second!  I asked him if he took a jolt, and he said yeah, and he gets several every day.  I guess you don't get used to that.   :'(

Sargeguy

Several per day???  Might want to be a little more careful, you never know when the big one is going to come along.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Electricity for the Telephone Man

From the Preface:

This textbook sets down the principles of magnetism and electricity upon which all electrical communications is based. It is intended to serve as a primer of technical training for the telephone craftsman.

Electricity for the Telephone Man was produced by Michigan Bell Telephone Company and published with a copyright date of December 1955.  The Preface of the first edition credits ''innumerable Bell System sources; notably from the American Telephone and Telegraph and the Illinois Bell Telephone Company."

The cover is printed on heavy card stock in silver-colored text and graphics on a black background.  It depicts a tie-clothed technician somehow defibrillating a 302 telephone in the hand of his stretched out arm with a bolt of electricity emanating from his other clutched fist above his head, reminiscent of the Spirit of Electricity. The content is printed on 80 17"x11" sheets of paper bound by two staples in the center to produce an 8.5"x11" volume.

In 1956, it was republished with the front cover now stating "American Telephone and Telegraph Company and Michigan Bell Telephone Company". This edition is marked "second printing August, 1956" but retains the Michigan Bell copyright. The content appears identical, except that the table of contents now is more complete. The first edition's TOC was missing one page listing chapters 19-24 of 25.

It is perhaps interesting to note that Michigan Bell found it desirable to produce this volume, when the Long Lines Department at AT&T had already created the Principles of Electricity applied to Telephone and Telegraph Work (1928-1961), which is a rather comprehensive treatise on the subject. However, Electricity for the Telephone Man approaches the subject from a much more practical, hands-on perspective, showing circuits in somewhat more pictorial fashion and emphasizes practical details of measurements. It also includes study review questions at the end of each chapter.  It does not cover historical aspects. As such, this is more suitable as a training guide, while the Principles can serve as a reference work.

Was the work picked up by AT&T and distributed more widely?

Contempra

cool.. If you have a pdf, i'm interested  Brinybay ;) have a good day.

Greg G.

Quote from: Contempra on November 14, 2014, 11:41:51 AM

I don't have it in pdf, but I do have it in jpg format.  I can either try to attach them via email a handfull at a time (total of 158 pgs including cover), or burn them on a cd and mail them to you.
- Mike Row
e

Contempra

Quote from: Brinybay on November 15, 2014, 02:24:55 PM
Quote from: Contempra on November 14, 2014, 11:41:51 AM

I don't have it in pdf, but I do have it in jpg format.  I can either try to attach them via email a handfull at a time (total of 158 pgs including cover), or burn them on a cd and mail them to you.

hmm... I live in Quebec/Canada Brinybay....and I move at the end of this month... but.... if you put the " jpg " in a folder and sending me by Email ( you can send a 25Mo ) a t the time...If so.. i'll give you my email ...;)

unbeldi

For sharing I would simply store them on Dropbox or Google Drive. Google provides up to 15 GB of space, and Dropbox used to start at 2 GB, and both are free.  Sending large amount of images or documents by email really is outdated.

Contempra

Quote from: unbeldi on November 15, 2014, 06:18:08 PM
For sharing I would simply store them on Dropbox or Google Drive. Google provides up to 15 GB of space, and Dropbox used to start at 2 GB, and both are free.  Sending large amount of images or documents by email really is outdated.

Not at all because I often send pdf file under 25MB from my email...

teka-bb

You could use WE Transfer (www.wetransfer.com) to send the jpg's to me and I can convert it into a PDF and put it in the TCI Library.

PM me if you are up for it.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/