News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Bad Packing" awards

Started by Dan, March 01, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

Dan, I'd send it back.  Red soft plastic 500s seem to be plentiful lately, and you should be able to find another one very soon....and you might get it even cheaper!  Especially since the seller is willing to refund the price and shipping.
Jim H.

Dennis Markham

That's a good idea Jim.  I do the same.  Sometimes sellers that have been doing it a while resent being told how to pack.  Some appreciate the tips.  It saves them aggravation too.

Dan

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. It's going back on Tuesday.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

sesjrs

Wow, it is a beautiful phone.  What a shame.  For me,  I would have to send it back.  You will always be explaining the crack otherwise.  Good luck and I can understand why that might be too difficult.

Dan

Quote from: sesjrs on March 03, 2009, 08:23:39 PM
Wow, it is a beautiful phone.  What a shame.  For me,  I would have to send it back.  You will always be explaining the crack otherwise.  Good luck and I can understand why that might be too difficult.
Thanks for the kind words. I am depressed about this, but at least red oldies are common.
I packed her up today like the hope diamond. (box in a box, bubble wrap, etc) Hopefully he'll see how to pack the phone for his buyer who wants it, crack and all.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

Everything on the phone--handset, caps, elements, case, internal components--all date to either October or November 1958.  It arrived in wrapped in thin sheet foam, with paper packed tightly on all sides.  When I shook the box, I couldn't hear anything move, which is always a sign of good packing, but... the handset was left on the cradle, and I forgot to tell the seller that's a bad idea.

Despite the somewhat yellowed case, and whitened cords, I would have been thrilled, because it would have been just my third 500.  All matching and all soft plastic, too. 

Do you ever forget the heartbreak of your first broken phone? :P

= DARRIN =

Dan

darn, that's painful. I was watching that very set on Ebay. Pink ones are cool. Sorry for your bad luck :'(

Tonyrotary

Oh geez bingster, I don't know what to say. I can feel your pain from here. If only it was a small crack but no way to repair that. What did you pay for it?

Oh man I just remembered my wife is picking up a black 500 I bought off ebay and now I am worried on how the seller packed it.

bingster

It was $50 BIN. 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160326901491

Not only is it my first broken phone, but it's actually the very first broken item of any kind that I've received from an ebay seller.

I guess the lesson learned is that you should never forget to tell the seller to NOT pack a phone with the handset in place on the cradle.  Everybody always says that, and I usually tell sellers about it.  Unfortunately for me, I just forgot this time.  After a half century of survival, it's a shame it had to end like this.
= DARRIN =

contraste

Ouch!

That's a real shame. The package must of taken a real pounding to cause that kind of damage.

It would have been a really nice example.

McHeath

Ellen

Quote from: Tonyrotary on April 22, 2009, 04:20:25 PM
If only it was a small crack but no way to repair that.

Well, after you are done mourning, you could get out your superglue ...  That is very sad and frustrating.  If only ...  But maybe it can be salvaged.  A new kind of challenge?

mienaichizu

BDM

Good lord! I received my soft plastic beige set today. It was poorly packed, but survived.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI