"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoiP) phone service and pulse dialing

Started by Konrad, January 07, 2009, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Marcelo L wrote
QuoteDo you think it would be easier to source the missing parts or a whole ringer assembly?

Marcelo -

I think it should be quite easy to get a screw of the appropriate thread and length, and either file or grind a point on it.

I don't know what the thread should be (perhaps someone here does?), but you can just take your ringer to the hardware store and try out a bunch of screws until you find one that screws in easily. The length is not critical, since you will also buy a nut to use as the stop-nut shown in Bill Guerts' picture. Take it home, put a point on it, screw it in until it loosely sets into the dimple in the clapper, tighten up the stopnut to keep it from turning, and you should be good to go.

Am I missing something? If not, this should be much easier, cheaper, and quicker than finding a whole new ringer.

Bill

Babybearjs

I'm having no problems with my unit. CableOne modem are reverse compatible. we have BOTH touch tone and rotary... the brand modem we have is an ARRIS, I'm not sure of the model number. but we are not having any issues...
John

Marcelo L.

Quote from: Bill on November 07, 2011, 11:57:04 AM
Marcelo L wrote
QuoteDo you think it would be easier to source the missing parts or a whole ringer assembly?

Marcelo -

I think it should be quite easy to get a screw of the appropriate thread and length, and either file or grind a point on it.

I don't know what the thread should be (perhaps someone here does?), but you can just take your ringer to the hardware store and try out a bunch of screws until you find one that screws in easily. The length is not critical, since you will also buy a nut to use as the stop-nut shown in Bill Guerts' picture. Take it home, put a point on it, screw it in until it loosely sets into the dimple in the clapper, tighten up the stopnut to keep it from turning, and you should be good to go.

Am I missing something? If not, this should be much easier, cheaper, and quicker than finding a whole new ringer.

Bill

Bill, It looks like a pretty small screw. If it's a 6/32, I have a ton of them at home, otherwise I'll take a trip to the homedepot. Thanks

Marcelo L.

Quote from: Marcelo L. on November 07, 2011, 04:59:19 PM
Quote from: Bill on November 07, 2011, 11:57:04 AM
Marcelo L wrote

Marcelo -

Bill

Bill, It looks like a pretty small screw. If it's a 6/32, I have a ton of them at home, otherwise I'll take a trip to the homedepot. Thanks

No dice. That screw is tiny. I'll have to get to the hardware store this weekend.

Marcelo L.

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Marcelo L.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 07, 2011, 11:49:37 PM
From the video, it sounds like you got it working.

That's what it sounds like without the pointy screw keeping the clapper aligned. 

Bill

QuoteNo dice. That screw is tiny. I'll have to get to the hardware store this weekend.

Marcelo -

Yup, smaller than I thought. I just grabbed a 317 oak wall phone I have in the garage, and took a quick look at the screw diameter. Looks like a #4 screw. With any luck, it is a 4-40 - but WE used strange threads at times. Good luck, and please report back.

Bill

Bill

Even smaller than I thought. I actually unscrewed the screw, and it is smaller than a #4. Maybe a #3? Problem is that the trhead looks pretty coarse, so this may be another WE unusual size, and if so, you won't find it in a hardware store. If you are in a big town, you may find that there is a specialty fastener company nearby. Phoenix area has several Copper State Nut and Bolt stores.

Bill

Phonesrfun

If you can tell me what brand the subset box originally was, and even the model, I know some people who.....may even have some ringer parts.  Providing, of course that the ringer you have is original to that box.

The ringers of old in some cases were even interchangeable.

-Bill G

Marcelo L.

That would be great!

It's a Kellogg and the numbers stamped in to the cabinet are: F2328S

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 08, 2011, 07:11:06 PM
If you can tell me what brand the subset box originally was, and even the model, I know some people who.....may even have some ringer parts.  Providing, of course that the ringer you have is original to that box.

The ringers of old in some cases were even interchangeable.

Marcelo L.

Quote from: Bill on November 08, 2011, 06:30:16 PM
Even smaller than I thought. I actually unscrewed the screw, and it is smaller than a #4. Maybe a #3? Problem is that the trhead looks pretty coarse, so this may be another WE unusual size, and if so, you won't find it in a hardware store. If you are in a big town, you may find that there is a specialty fastener company nearby. Phoenix area has several Copper State Nut and Bolt stores.

Bill

I has no luck at the home depot. Hopefully I can source another ringer...

Phonesrfun

I won't have an answer until tomorrow night when I can get over to a friend's house and pile through some of his stuff.
-Bill G

Marcelo L.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 08, 2011, 08:45:55 PM
I won't have an answer until tomorrow night when I can get over to a friend's house and pile through some of his stuff.

Thanks very much! Do you need any pictures to use as a reference?

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Marcelo L. on November 08, 2011, 08:49:10 PM
Thanks very much! Do you need any pictures to use as a reference?

It would help.  You took a couple early on in this thread, but if you can do a couple more, the more detail the better.  Kellogg ringers are pretty commonplace, so I am expecting that I can find something for you.
-Bill G