News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beautiful Erie Wall Clock

Started by Doug Rose, June 10, 2012, 09:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan and I found a Beautiful Erie Wall Clock yesterday at a yard sale. I was unsure if I could repair it and make it work. I had nothing to worry about as I wound and is is started right up. It is in amazing condition, it was cared for very well by its owners. It has been working since 1PM yesterday. It even has a working day calender. (I did fix the date after the pics!) I am such a novice, I thought it was a second hand and passed it by. I figured with a second hand, it must be a repro or have repro parts. Such a dope! My lovely wife set me straight and made me go back before we drove too far away. We are both thrilled with it. This was a very fortunate find for us. ...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Nice! Very cool looking clock!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 10, 2012, 04:24:31 PM
Nice! Very cool looking clock!!
Harry...thanks....it keeps perfect time.....I am beyond happy with it....Doug
Kidphone

canuckphoneguy

That is a beautiful clock! I think I'll start collecting those one day :)

Doug Rose

I got some more information on this clock from the NAWCC. It is a Meridian made By Lovell Manufacturing Erie PA. 1880-1890 is the guess of the manufacturing date. Still keeping perfect time.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

That's a gorgeous clock.  I would guess its value to be in the $500-$800 range.  It would look great on my kitchen wall. 

I am going to have to go New England some day to visit yard sales.  I NEVER see anything like that at sales here.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry....REALLY...it's worth that much?.....WOW! It was the first yard sale of the day and I bolted from the car while it was still moving. I ran right to it. They said we were the first people to come to their yard sale. There was not much there, so it really stood out. I still wonder why they would take this down and sell it. It keeps perfect time.I am not an expert, so I thought it might have repro parts. Janet was the reason I have it, she made me go back. We hadn't gone more than 100 feet.  I was fortunate it was early, this would not have made it an hour without someone buying it. It is a beauty.....Doug
Kidphone

Gilas

Nice find Doug and I would agree with Larry.  Everything I found on them show them to sell for anywhere from 500 to 1000 depending on how much is original.  Great find and congrats

LarryInMichigan

I am only guessing, but I am sure that it is valuable.  If you are going to keep it running, I would strongly suggest that it be checked, cleaned, and oiled by somebody who knows what they are doing.  Running a clock with a dirty movement will lead to excessive wear and damage.  I restore alot of small electric clocks, and I generally find that the old oil has become thick and sticky and that the metal is often badly worn because of it.  The Telechron 3F65 that I just disassembled this morning was a poster child for that.

Otherwise, you can give the clock to me :)

Larry