News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WECo Switch Hook Insulator

Started by dencins, November 17, 2014, 09:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

In the past I have seen several suggestions for making replacement insulators for WECo switch hooks and would like to add one more.  The physical characteristics are: 

1.  Exposed part of the insulator is 3/16" in diameter and 1/8" thick.
2.  Stem that sticks into the switch hook is 3/32" in diameter and 1/4" long.
3.  Material appears to be phenolic.

I found Micarta (phenolic with linen filler) rod is used by people who make knives.  It is inexpensive and readily available.  I purchased 2 - 12" pieces for $6.00 plus $5.75 shipping from Texas Knifemaker's Supply but I am sure it is available from many other places.  I figure this will make at least 40 insulators.

The equipment used was a drill press, dial caliper, file, vise and coping saw with fine blade.

This is how I made it:

1.  Cut a 2" piece off one rod and put it in a drill press.
2.  Hold a file against the rod about 1/4" from the end and reduce the diameter to about 0.096" - 0.098".  Do not press the file too hard against the material or it may bend.
3.  Remove piece from drill press, put in a vise and cut off leaving about a 1/8" thickness.
4.  Press insulator into hole in switch hook with vise.

The first picture is the rod and a finished piece.  The second is the insulator pressed into switch hook.

Dennis Hallworth

Phonesrfun

This is great information.  Thank you Dennis, your contributions to the hobby are outstanding.  I still admire the plating you did a couple years ago on my 193A parts.  The phone is on the wall in my living room.
-Bill G