News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another 302 Fixer Upper.

Started by Dan/Panther, January 27, 2009, 03:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Well I found another ugly duckling to fix up.
D/P

http://tinyurl.com/bjdump

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

You DO like a challenge, don't you?!  That one looks like it will take some work.  The handset almost looked like brown Bakelite when I first looked at it.  But I believe brown Bakelite F1's were seamless.  I look forward to seeing the "After" photos!

Dan/Panther

It appears to me that it was done with a water base piant, I can hope...
I do like callenge, but I have more time than money.
D/P

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

And a lot of work!   :o

I too will look forward to the "after" pictures. 

Dan/Panther

After looking at the pictures closer. I see that the line cord is rather large, and appears white. Also the underside photo shows white color inside the case. Could this phone have been originally painted white ?
D/P

Dennis Markham

My first impression of the phone is that this was not a Bell System paint job.  Is that what you thought too?  The factory repaint jobs usually didn't include the finger wheel and dial card retainer ring.  So what you are asking is it possible someone did a back yard paint job on a white, or ivory 302?  Could be.  I hate when that happens.  I have a couple of black 554's that were originally a more rare color.  I know of no way to get that paint off.  They are factory repaint jobs.  I have heard about soaking the SOFT plastic parts in brake fluid to remove paint.  I tried that once with a couple of hard plastic caps and ruined them.  That was before I learned that tip was for soft plastic.  I haven't tried it again.

Dan/Panther

Yes, the overcoat if there is one almost appears to be brushed on, that is why I though maybe a water based paint, and maybe not too hard to remove.
I will find out soon enough !
D/P