News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Retrofitted WE Candlestick question

Started by Kenton K, September 10, 2014, 07:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

I bought a nice 50 type candlestick that was retrofitted in the 70s. It has a 6 dial, t1 transmitter, and small reciever (not U1, newer type). There is also a matching metal subset that was also retrofitted with a 425E and C4A ringer. I have the parts to restore most the phone, (2 dial, transmitter, receiver, just need switch pileup and terminal contacts). Do you think its cooler to have a retrofitted candlestick with subset, or old phone w/o subset.

-Ken

poplar1

How about old phone with old subset?
Did they change the hookswitch contact springs, or are they just missing? In other words, is it working?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rp2813

Not having been raised with candlestick type phones, I don't have the ingrained discipline to use one.  I'm one of the spoiled types from the post-handset generation.

Years ago, a friend of mine had an original candlestick and when he used it to call me, it sounded like he was talking into a jar, and it was very faint.  If he turned even slightly away from the phone, I couldn't hear him.

For me, if I were ever to own and use a candlestick, I'd want one that had been retrofitted per manufacturer's specs with an F1 or T1 transmitter -- I only know from WECo -- so that if I were to turn away, it would still pick up the sound of my voice.

My $0.02.
Ralph

Sargeguy

I had a retrofitted 50-type candlestick, it was a 151-AL with a 706A receiver and 635A "bulldog" transmitter.  It was electronically equivalent to a 302.  122/143/144 receivers are generally adequate for conversations, and transmitters function adequately when properly tuned, with 337 and 229/250 receivers being the most reliable.  It's true that the sound quality is not up to the standards of a 500, and if you don't speak directly into the transmitter people cannot hear you very well-something I call "the iPhone effect"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409