News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Analyze This! Cherry red handsets and 10-button "Shmoo" phone?

Started by Greg G., October 01, 2014, 01:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

This is a picture I saw on a Facebook page called "A Little Slice of Vintage Life".  The wooden receiver on the left is obviously a mock-up, but I'm wondering about the 6-hole cherry red handset and the 10-button "Shmoo" phone.

Paul F's site says cherry red was introduced in 1953, but, they came with black handsets and cords.  Earliest red 500 I have in my collection is 66, but it has a 7-hole cap.  Shmoo phones appear to be only rotary dial versions.

So are the others also artistic mock-ups?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

I don't understand the question.
Red handset cords, in fact all colors except blue and green, were available starting in August 1955.

Is there any indication that the ad is from years prior?

The Shmoo was field-tested around 1959, so everything seems just find with that ad. The ad is probably from 1959 or 1960 or just a little later, since somebody already knew about the DTMF keypad. However, TT keypads were tested in the late 1950 and early 60s too, so it seems to all fit together.

The center holes in the handset caps started appearing in 1959 with the conversion to ABS plastics.

Greg G.

Quote from: unbeldi on October 01, 2014, 01:38:48 PM
I don't understand the question.
Red handset cords, in fact all colors except blue and green, were available starting in August 1955.

Is there any indication that the ad is from years prior?

The Shmoo was field-tested around 1959, so everything seems just find with that ad. The ad is probably from 1959 or 1960 or just a little later, since somebody already knew about the DTMF keypad. However, TT keypads were tested in the late 1950 and early 60s too, so it seems to all fit together.

The center holes in the handset caps started appearing in 1959 with the conversion to ABS plastics.

The ad is vintage.  You answered my two basic questions - Did red handsets have 6-hole receiver caps? (A: Yes).  Was there a 10-button Shmoo phone?  (A: Yes).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

It's from a Western Electric ad that was run in 1959 and 1960.

I have seen several wood/display models of pushbutton dial-in-handset phones, but no working or field trial models.  Let me know if you find one!

http://www.paul-f.com/weprotot.html#Trimline
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Quote from: paul-f on October 01, 2014, 11:26:16 PM
It's from a Western Electric ad that was run in 1959 and 1960.

I have seen several wood/display models of pushbutton dial-in-handset phones, but no working or field trial models.  Let me know if you find one!

http://www.paul-f.com/weprotot.html#Trimline
A ten-button Shmoo phone is the new 49-500!  I wonder what the wooden mockups would sell for?

QuoteWas there a 10-button Shmoo phone?  A:  No working model is known to exist
- Mike Row
e