News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 202 to 425B network with 2 wire ringer wiring problem

Started by Jf510, January 10, 2015, 10:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

I bought an old metal subset ringer box recently. It has a newer 425B network but an old 2 wire ringer. I wired a Western Electric 202 to the network using the following wiring diagram. The green wire to GN, black wire to B, red to R, yellow to L2 and I strapped RR to L1. The phone worked fine but when I connected the 2 leads of the ringer to the L2 & L1 the dial tone shorted. I could not figure out any other connections for the ringer to work. The above wiring diagram I used was the only one I could fine in the internet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jf510 on January 10, 2015, 10:44:49 AM
I bought an old metal subset ringer box recently. It has a newer 425B network but an old 2 wire ringer. I wired a Western Electric 202 to the network using the following wiring diagram. The green wire to GN, black wire to B, red to R, yellow to L2 and I strapped RR to L1. The phone worked fine but when I connected the 2 leads of the ringer to the L2 & L1 the dial tone shorted. I could not figure out any other connections for the ringer to work. The above wiring diagram I used was the only one I could fine in the internet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Yes, this is to be expected, in the way you connected the ringer.
Connect one wire of the ringer to L1 or L2, and the other to the A terminal, then connect the K terminal to the other line terminal, L2 or L1, depending on what you did first.

The ringer must have a capacitor (condenser) in series before connecting to the line.  The network provides this 0.47µF capacitor on terminals A and K.  Polarity is not important.

Welcome !

Jf510

Thanks for the information. I did what you said and it did work. The ringer does ring a bit when dialing though. I am not sure if this is normal with my combination of old ringer and newer network but it worked.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jf510 on January 10, 2015, 02:15:18 PM
Thanks for the information. I did what you said and it did work. The ringer does ring a bit when dialing though. I am not sure if this is normal with my combination of old ringer and newer network but it worked.

The ringer may (or may not) have a bias spring that can be adjusted. It would keep the clapper in one preferred position. Tightening it just little should help, if available.

poplar1

To reduce "bell tap", try reversing the polarity of the ringer, or of the incoming line wires on L1 and L2.

You may also want to move the affected gong further away from the clapper. Usually, the gongs are eccentric, that is, the hole for mounting them is not centered, so turning the gong slightly will increase or decrease the distance from the clapper.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510