"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Avocado Western Electric 500 won't ring

Started by goamules, January 18, 2015, 10:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goamules

Hi all,
I bought this for $8 at an estate sale.  Here it is polished up.

I took the case off, and sprayed contact cleaner in the dial mechanism, which now works perfectly.  But it won't ring for incoming calls.  Is there any easy test I an do, or perhaps there is a cuttoff switch I didn't see?  I'm new to phones, but was an electronics technician in the Navy decades ago.  I have a multi meter.  I'd like to get the ringer working. 

Any help?

Phonesrfun

Does it have a modular cord?  Inside the phone, if a black ringer wire is connected to the G terminal on the network block, move it to L1 where the green line cord wire should be connected.

Or, take a close-up photo of the network and where the wires are connected and we can help you some more.
-Bill G

goamules

Thanks Bill, It has a regular modern flat cord, with the tiny clear jack.  Let me go check and take some pics.

goamules

Here it is.  If I understand the markings on the side, I think I see a black wire going to L1. Or at least the lug beside it, and they are shorted together. 

TelePlay

Try moving the black wire under the "X" to the L1 terminal, circled in red. Then try it and let us know what happened.

goamules

You were exaclty right, it now WORKS!  While you were writing I went back to look, and figured out the Black wire was not on L1.  I moved it to the L1, paired it with the yellow that was already there.  It rings, dials, and seems fine.  Thanks!