News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

400 members

Started by McHeath, June 26, 2010, 03:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Well we seem to have reached 400 members on our little phoney island in the sun!  While not all are active by any means, a lot are, and it amazes me how this forum continues to grow and thrive.  Big stuff has been breaking news here first even this year, the 1948 and 49' model 500s were first documented by forum members, as well as the historic conference call on the 48'  And it remains a nice place to hang out on the web, the members really try hard to be polite and respectful to all, a rarity on the WWW as we all know.

Congrads to us. 

gpo706

Well said, never had any flaming on this board, what an utterly unselfish and helpful group ladies and gentlemen, no matter how daft some of my queries.

"Lang may yir lum reek" as we say here in Scotland.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

teka-bb

Wi' ither folks coal!   ;)
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on June 26, 2010, 03:25:09 PM
Well we seem to have reached 400 members on our little phoney island in the sun!  While not all are active by any means, a lot are, and it amazes me how this forum continues to grow and thrive.  Big stuff has been breaking news here first even this year, the 1948 and 49' model 500s were first documented by forum members, as well as the historic conference call on the 48'  And it remains a nice place to hang out on the web, the members really try hard to be polite and respectful to all, a rarity on the WWW as we all know.

Congrads to us. 

That last sentence is the biggest reason I come here pretty much exclusively for phone help.  Another thing that helps is the visual.  I much prefer a V-Bulletin type of setup where the subjects are organized into different areas and you can attach pics, edit, or delete your posts.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

;D congratulations!  :)

dsk

jiggerman

I love this site !!! Don`t post very often but I always open up my day here while enjoying my morning coffee. Great bunch of people and no hassles or complaining like I`ve seen on other groups. Keep up the good work. Jiggerman

Jim Stettler

The listsevers were getting stuffy and sometimes rude.
That is the reason I switched to the forum. I don't think I am the only listserver member to switch for those reasons.

I consider the forum a legitamite telephone "club". Whenever there are special offers for club members, I try to get the forum included on the deal. (Don Walton's book)

The clubs have been recoginizing members "of the other club" as telephone collectors, and will let them attend shows at members rates and times.
I suspect they will extend this courtesy to forum members.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Russ Kirk

I agree with the previous positive comments about this forum.   The other listservers, while informative,  can wander off into the Central Office switching, area code cutovers, phone directories, ringing generators and other non-telephone set / collecting topics. They frown strongly on off topics and can get non-friendly.  This site offers a great mixture and has everything categorized.  This makes starting an off topic easy and non-offensive - I have learned a lot about collectable radios.   The capability of adding photos in the message quite easy.  With the listservers you have to provide a link and even pulling some photos or files can get cumbersome.   

This site is the best by far and I now spend 99% of my time here. 
Oh,  and the best thing are the friendly people!

Russ....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Kenny C

Remember when we had 300 a couple of months ago
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

To add to the point of the growing interest from the established phone collecting community at large, here is a little tidbit.

I received a call from a collector and avid switcher that I know.  He works in the telecom industry and has a large e-Bay presence.  He was not aware of this forum before, but has been recently reading it and he was largely complimentary of the activity here and the potential that exists.  He was also very complimentary of the look and feel of the forum as compared with the listserves.

One good point he made is that it would be nice to have some educational articles on what makes phones work.  Ralph Meyer's book "Old Time Telephones, Design, History and Restoration"  is an excellent resource, but I think his point was that maybe something should be available to all via the forum.  This might be a next step beyond wiring diagrams if people are interested in persuing the "how it works" angle. 

He also said that he has recently come into a rather large lot of ITT phones, and that in the lot are a bunch of parts.  He said he will have parts for 500's and 554's such as networks, ringers, switches, handsets and the like.  Since this forum has a high degree of interest in the 500's and equivalent phones, he thought there would be interest.

He goes by the handle of cougarvalleyhwt on e-bay.  The link to his store is  http://stores.ebay.com/cougarvalleyphonesandmore
He will be posting those parts some day soon, I am told.  If anyone is interested in a 1A2 keysystem, he sells those too and I see that he currently has a couple up for sale.  I bought my first 1A2 system from him.

I hope I haven't taken this thread too far off its intended subject.

-Bill G

McHeath

Not a problem at all Bill, one of the nice things about this forum is that conversations can evolve as they do naturally and no one gets mad.  When we are talking with a person face to face the conversation moves around, covers a lot of ground, and the forum does as well.

I've bought a part or two from cougarvalleyphones on E-Bay, nice stuff and good service.

To me it's important that we have these self congrad threads every so often were we pat ourselves on the back because it keeps us thinking about how nice this forum is and how we all have a part in keeping it that way. 

Tonyrotary

It is great to see our forum grow and prosper!

1954NE500

Congratulations, 400 members strong:-) Keep up the good work as it will just keep on getting better. Just the same success when Henry Dreyfuss designed our much-beloved 500 in the 1940's and became a huge success in the decades to follow.
Next stop, 500 members:-)

HarrySmith

Excellent! Three cheers for our forum! HIP HIP HOORAY!
I have not been a member here long but I do prefer this over the lists which I have been a member of for a while now. This is a much more down to earth atmosphere with a bunch of really nice people. Heres to continued growth and not straying from the format. If it works don't fix it!

On another note this milestone may be a good excuse for the idea I posted here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2957.0
Our 400th Member Worldwide Memorial Poster Signing!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010