"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Where can I get spade terminals and other wiring tools and supplies

Started by trainman, April 17, 2011, 02:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

Success!

Don't ask me why, but I was using the 26-28 ga. crimper instead of 22-26.   Using the correct one, I got a perfect crimp!

*slaps palm against forehead*

Will the 22-26 spades also work on handset cords?  The conductors seem to be thinner and the original spades smaller.  I got this crimper so I could repair a handset cord that needs a couple of new spades, but I'm not so sure the 22-26 spades are small enough to use on a U1 receiver element or crimp tightly around a handset cord conductor.
Ralph

MAin 0-2368

Paladin makes a nice crimper. Model number is 1176.
Cheapest I found was at a place called commtoolsuperstore.com at $8.99 on sale and I think it was only about six or seven dollars for shipping. They were back ordered so it took about three weeks to get mine, but they work very well.
http://www.commtoolsuperstore.com/product/618PA1176.html

TheGBC

Contributatin':
I walked into the Fry's in southwest Houston TX about four years ago and got these:
<Externally linked images no longer available>

They work great for the small (Radio shack) spade lugs, and also on the two occasions I've done the larger cloth connectors.
When I was there a few weeks ago, they still had them, same price.
I think there's just one company that makes these, and they're re-packaged by a bunch of distributors.
Sorry about the picture quality, my camera is stuck in macro mode, I don't feel like pulling it apart tonight to fix it.
Edit: Moved to non-crap image host

TelePlay

Yes, that is the old Radio Shack crimper made in Tiawan and you got it at a good price. You were very lucky to find that old crimper at that price.

The updated version of this crimper from Taiwan has additional stuff between the handle and the joint, and costs about twice as much from Phoenix (link on first page of this thread) for $10 something plus shipping.

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 14, 2011, 10:36:23 PM
Quote from: allineedislove on May 14, 2011, 10:23:01 PM
My Friends, I got one of the RS crimpers, and have some spade pugs, but I can't find the way to do the correct crimping. Could some one show me how to do the correct crimping?.
Regards

As Teleplay said, the open end of the spade shaft goes toward the closed end of the die, so that as pressure is applied, the open ends are forced to wrap around the insulation of the wire.  Do not strip the wire.

Somewhere, about 6 months ago on this forum we had some photos and examples.

Here's the link to that photo tutorial on how to make good spade lug crimps.

http://tinyurl.com/c3x8sfo

TheGBC

Quote from: TelePlay on April 06, 2012, 06:27:27 PM
Yes, that is the old Radio Shack crimper made in Tiawan and you got it at a good price.

Nifty. I was there a couple days ago for some computer parts, and they still have the crimpers, same price. Their website says a bunch of stores carry it, so yeah, potential source is still out there.
Also, I agree with whoever said that Radio Shack needs to sell their spade lugs in bigger quantity that 25.
Does anybody still make them brass plated?