News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tell me about this phone?

Started by LarryH, November 22, 2010, 04:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryH

I know it has the "redbar".  How old is it?  40's?  What is the crank for?  (pardon my ignorance, but I can't learn if I don't ask)  Does anyone have a wiring diagram for one of these?

LarryInMichigan

LarryH,

Your phone is the magneto version of the Kellogg 100 series.  It was probably made during the 1940s or early 50s.  The crank is connected to a generator which produces a voltage to ring a ringer at the other end of the line.  You can probably find a wiring diagram someone on the page at: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=264&Itemid=11.  I do not know if you will be able to use this phone on a modern phone line without replacing some components.

Phonesrfun

THis is a local battery set with a local battery ringing generator (magneto)  If you hooked it up to a regular phone line, you would not be able to talk without putting a local battery in the circuit.  Cranking the generator would send ringing current down the line to the central office, and is not a good thing to do.  If you are connected to a router for Internet phone service, and not to a telephone company central office, the ringing current from the generator could fry the router.

What you have here is basically the same thing as a wooden wall phone with the magneto, but instead of a wood wall phone it is a bakelite desk set.

-Bill G

LarryH

Can you explain how  and what kind of battery I would need?

Greg G.

Are there any markings on the bottom?  That's probably where the manufacture date is.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

There is a member of the phone clubs, Kellogg Mike, who has a site and is a veritable fountain of info on Kellogg phones:

http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryH

How would I get in touch with this fellow.  I found a phone that looks like mine in a catalog.  It says 1070 Type.

HarrySmith

You can email him at:  mikenealetexas@gmail.com

You can check the TCI library for diagrams here:  http://www.telephonecollectors.info/
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

It is a 1070 type Triad circuit Masterphone of the 1940's

I believe this is the correct schematic diagram here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&Itemid=0&gid=3544

I do not have one of these, so I am speaking from having looked at the schematic.  THe line would be connected to the wires in the line cord that represent L1 and L2, much the same as any other phone.  You will need to take the cover off the phone and see which line cord wires are connected to L1 and L2 on the terminal strip inside the phone.

The battery on this particular phone seems to connect to terminals 2 and 8.  Some phones had the battery terminals labeled B1 and B2, but this diagram shows the battery connected to 2 and 8.

You can get a battery holder from Radio Shack that will take 2 "D" size batteries, and you can also get such a holder for "C" size batteries.  C or D size will work, since the current draw is so small.  Get one of those holders and a couple batteries of the corresponding size.  Each battery is 1.5 volts and in series, that gives you 3.0 volts.

The red and black wires from the battery holder can be connected to the wires in the line cord that go to terminals 2 and 8.  Doesn't matter which of the red or black wires goes where, because polarity is not an issue.

You will notice that the diagram shows two "Dry Cell" batteries connected in series.  These were the older versions of a "D" size battery.  They were each 1.5 volts and were connected in series.  They were usually mounted in a separate battery box on the wall, or out of the way in a closet or in the basement.  They needed changing every year or two, depending on how often the phone was used.

In the environment of a local battery phone, everyone in the community (usually rural) were on party lines, and one needed to ring the person you wanted to pick-up on the line with their code.  For instance two long rings and a short.

Most of these rural magneto sets were the wood wall phones, but by the late 1940's those that were still on rural telephone lines wanted to have an instrument that looked a little more contemparary.  Inside, however, it is the same animal as the old wood wall phone.

Let me know if I can be of any further help, and Mike Neale (Kellogg Mike) is a great resource.
-Bill G

LarryH

Okay.  Another guy I was talking to says that all I need to do is switch the 114 induction coil to a 113 and "connect the link between GRD and L2" and disconnect the magneto then the phone should work fine.  Do you think this will jive.  I don't want to do batteries if I can help it.

I am a total novice on phones so I am checking all this out before I spend money on the 113 coil or a dial assembly later.

Phonesrfun

I believe I have heard that somewhere too, but Kellogg phones are not my strong suit.  I do know that the 1000 series phones were way ahead of their time with thei modular building-block way of connecting inside.

Mike Neale would be the one to ask about that.

-Bill
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 23, 2010, 07:46:24 AM
There is a member of the phone clubs, Kellogg Mike, who has a site and is a veritable fountain of info on Kellogg phones:

http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm
You can find him on this forum. He doesn't post But I think he reads his messages.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dsk

This one could be tricky to convert without changing the hybrid circuit/coil  I would have given it a try.

Put it up as described in note 1 at the diagram, and strap the battery terminals, connect the strap to L2 via a resistor of 200- 330 ohms.   This will form an unconventional hybrid, but i guess it will be OK. Can not see any risk of doing something wrong.

dsk

LarryH

Okay You guys are over my head...  I took some pictures.  I replaced the coil with a 113A and the phone works great except I cannot get it to ring.  I get a little vibration of the do hickey but not enough to reach the bells.  Any thoughts?  I put a jumper wire from the gnd to L2 but that is all I got.

Phonesrfun

That symptom is indicative of a frequency ringer, but I would be surprised to see a frequency ringer in a magneto phone. 

Can you take a good photo of the ringer?  The photo of the ringer in the last picture is not enouh to see what kind of ringer it is.

-Bill G