"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning AE 34 - Farm Fresh+++

Started by DavePEI, March 14, 2013, 06:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Hi All:

Down to the final step before buffing. Remember the broken vent  I showed on the first page? Well thankfully, the two vent pieces broken out were still inside the phone, and here is the result of gluing them back in with cyanoacrylate glue. They still  need some minor filing, sanding and of course subsequent buffing, but I believe when done, it will be hard to tell they were ever broken.

It was tricky holding the broken pieces in place for gluing, so there are fingerprints, but they will sand off later. If it were possible to find replacement shells, that would have been a better option than all the time this has taken, but it will look pretty good for a 70 year old phone, considering the previous damage to the grille.

The phone itself works like a charm!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

southernphoneman

Quote from: DavePEI on March 22, 2013, 01:33:47 PM
Hi All:

Down to the final step before buffing. Remember the broken vent  I showed on the first page? Well thankfully, the two vent pieces broken out were still inside the phone, and here is the result of gluing them back in. They still  need some minor filing, sanding and of course subsequent buffing, but I believe when done, it will be hard to tell they were ever broken.

It was tricky holding the broken pieces in place for gluing, so there are fingerprints, but they will sand off later. If it were possible to find replacement shells, that would have been a better option than all the time this has taken, but it will look pretty good for a 70 year old phone, considering the previous damage to the grille.

The phone itself works like a charm!

Dave
hi dave pei,looks like your phone is  coming along, i am in the middle of refurbishing a 500 that is my full service phone,i will be updating it in a little while, but i look foward to seeing the final results of yours take care.

AE_Collector

As much as I hate to say it, a busted phone finds a good home at DavePEI's place. Nice job Dave, your first AE 34 comes with a story that you will always remember.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 22, 2013, 11:19:52 PM
As much as I hate to say it, a busted phone finds a good home at DavePEI's place. Nice job Dave, your first AE 34 comes with a story tat you will always remember.
Hi Terry:

Well, you know how long I have wanted an AE 34! So, it is worth every second spent on it to have for the museum.

Now, the only thing that will keep me from getting it over there is Punxsutawney Phil! Snow has drifted up around the museum again badly after the last two storms. We need some springtime warmth! Lynch that ground hog for inaccurate forecasting!  Polsters or Politicians could do a better job of predicting Spring!

Dave

See Punxsutawney Phil's excuse for the late spring:

Just before the Pennsylvania paper Headline which read: "Groundhog sentenced to become pulled pork sandwich!"
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I think I'd rather put my weather prediction faith in humans with big supercomputers that can vaguely get the weather right, rather than rely on some giant rat-looking thing seeing it's own shadow... :D

Doug Rose

Not if you live in NEW England. The colonies have bee rocked and the forecasters have had no clue.......Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

And that's what happens when you rely on an animal that doesn't even know what the humans bugging him after he woke up are going on about... :D

Science over superstition, the former always wins... ;D

DavePEI

Here is a page out of the AE 4055 catalog showing the AE34!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 23, 2013, 09:16:42 AM
I think I'd rather put my weather prediction faith in humans with big supercomputers that can vaguely get the weather right, rather than rely on some giant rat-looking thing seeing it's own shadow... :D
Even the computers can't figure it out. Look what happened to my computer on the first day of Spring! Still snowing :'(

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

:) We have all seen that windows clock moving in both directions, just wait and see  ;)

Picture taken just now from home: Hakadal about 35km north of Oslo City

dsk

HarrySmith

Spring?? Weather change?? All I notice is the days getting longer. It is always hot and always green here.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

The BBC did a comparison of temperatures a year ago and temperatures this year, I remember that small heatwave, it was right after a solar flare struck the planet.. :D

LarryInMichigan

DavePEI

Ahhh, the TRUTH always outs!
C*NET 1-651-0001