News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1956 Red Soft Plastic Rotary Wall Phone eBay.....

Started by John S, December 04, 2013, 05:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

I am kind of surprised I won this phone.  Its a red soft plastic phone dated 1956.  All the dates match. Its a nice phone that will need some TLC.  I really thought it would have jumped up that last min. I put a bid on it, thinking I was not going to win.   I won it for 34.33 and 13.90 shipping.  The cord looks more black, but it does have a greyish look to it.  The cord is also dated 1956.  I am not sure if I will keep it or resell it. I have it in a bag because it smells like smoke..... Here is a link to it, not sure if it will work.

http://tinyurl.com/kfn83d2

John

John S

More Pics....

JimH

Nice catch, John!  I saw this one too, but I'm a bit overloaded with projects.  Is that a black handset cord, or is it gray?

Jim
Jim H.

John S

Jim,

Its looks more black...but has greyish tint to it.  The metal cord restraint is dated 56.  Did they ever use black on a soft plastic?  The cord is thick and coil are larger than usual.  Kind of odd. 

John

LarryInMichigan

Jim Stettler

Quote from: John S on December 04, 2013, 05:27:35 PM
Jim,

Its looks more black...but has greyish tint to it.  The metal cord restraint is dated 56.  Did they ever use black on a soft plastic?  The cord is thick and coil are larger than usual.  Kind of odd. 

John
I have a straight handset cord that is probably the same color. Too black to be  called gray, but gray enough that it isn't black. Mine  is a long straight cord, probably not for  a 500 but maybe a 554.

ISTR that Vern P. said the info didn't jive with the known cord options offered on soft sets.
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

tallguy58

How can you guys tell the difference between soft and hard plastic??
Cheers........Bill

Jim Stettler

Quote from: tallguy58 on December 04, 2013, 07:00:45 PM
How can you guys tell the difference between soft and hard plastic??
TST

The Smell Tells.
If it smells like vomit ( or expensive cheese) it is soft plastic and desirable by collectors (but not their spouses).
Jim
There is also a click test. If you click it with you fingernail hard plastic "sound" hard.
There is no Known BS documentation (as yet) but Soft plastics can be found on 300 type sets (black and color) and princess sets as well.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

John S

Yes, this smells like foot cheese all the way............

John

Contempra

John you can wash the housing, handset with a little bit dish-soap and warm water. this will remove the odor. ;)

tallguy58

Uh......thanks for that.

Unfortunately, my internet provider doesn't yet have a smell capability.

Any other way of telling visually? Or is it just certain sets are made of vomitene?

;D
Cheers........Bill

WesternElectricBen

Well, if you look on the inside of the case and see a date like that (shown in his pic) than is's soft plastic, but if it is in a circle its hard plastic.

You could also do a tap test, is you have a newer phone that is 100% hard plastic, usually soft plastic has a lower tone than hard plastic. 

Ben

Dennis Markham

Nice buy John.  As far as knowing if it's soft plastic or not....the date tells the story.  One often needs more information than what is posted in the listing.  The housings are often changed on a phone with an early chassis date.  You can see in the photo of this one if you look closely at the inside edge of the housing that a date is stamped there.  It's always good to confirm that date with the seller to make sure.  There are other clues that it's an early phone...like the straight volume control lever and the 6 holes in the ear cap and the thicker/wider receiver hook.  Not to mention the dates that are shown.

That was a great price for this phone even if you have to replace the handset cord.

John S

Thanks Dennis......

I have it in the basement.  The phone came from a smoker.  I have it in a bag trying to get the smoke out.  Once the smoke fades away, I will take it all apart.  The smoke smell really was intense.  Overall happy with the purchase...

John