News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

External (Loud) ringer ID assistance, please.

Started by Mr. Bones, February 28, 2014, 11:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Please assist me, oh wise and venerable ones....

Am I correct in identifying this recently purchased WE loud ringer as a WE L1Axx-type?

Mine says L1(I)AMP and 81341. There are zero markings inside, and all the googling I did mostly led to etsy and epay; all were identified as 'L1(I)xxx', including photos of the vermillion, or moulded markings...

I have included a few web-reaped .jpgs; none of these are mine, which appears to be NOS, clapper never contacted gongs. Drat, though! I now realize I am missing the lil' stamped clapper cover.

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

L1A was the original code number (non-modular); 81341 is the date (341st day of 1981); the M probably means modular.

L was just the next available letter; here is an incomplete list by letter:

Type:    Example:
B-type--B1A  in 302s
C-type--C4A  in 500s
D-type--Call Director
E-type--Baseboard ext. ringer for 701B Princess
F--------Bell Chime
G-------236G, Elevator phone
H-------
L-------L1A ext. ringer
M------M1 in 702B Princess
N-------1554
P--------Trimline
S-------Warbler type ext. ringer
W-------
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on February 28, 2014, 12:23:41 PM
L1A was the original code number (non-modular); 81341 is the date (341st day of 1981); the M probably means modular.

L was just the next available letter; here is an incomplete list by letter:

Type:    Example:
B-type-
!!<snip>!!
W-------
David, thanks for the most informative reply, Sir!

I am always grateful, and  hope that some of it is retained in the sieve that used to, in younger days, pass for my brain. :o When I was a lad, I had quite the photographic memory, but Kodak quit producing film for it....first Kodachrome, then even Tri-X Pan. Running out of sources of NOS... :o

Not discounting the extreme likelihood, (and precedence) of the 'M' indicating modular, this particular unit has a docked station wire tail, though there certainly appears to be mounting accommodation for a modular jack. M=modular-capable, my best guess, WE model revision-wise...

Perhaps it was deleted / not installed by the installer, when put into service, based upon the existing circumstances, or, most likely, left out at manufacture for versatility/economy, based on the above criteria .

Strangely, I seem to be accumulating a small, but slowly flourishing collection of external (Loud) ringers, as the tendrils of Phonitis steadily pervade more of my (ever-limited) mind. I just recently got a nice 592A, as well... bet that' ll please the neighborhood. ::)

By the way, thanks for the Julian-date memory jog! I was semi-mystified, trying to interpret the (apparent) date code stamping, but you helped me remember my servitude, filling out req. forms, replete with (ugh! :o) NSN-xxx etc.

Best regards!

Thanks again, and Best regards!   
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

L1A=hardwired
L1AM=modular cord added
L1AMP=keyhole slots, modular cord

-49 is the color code, for example, L1AMP-49

"The L1AMP ringer is the same as the L1AM ringer, except it has keyhole-type slots in
                  the plastic base for mounting on a 1049A mounting
                  plate. A 2-foot modular weatherproof mounting
                  cord (D4CC) is provided for the L1AMP ringer."

BSP Section 501-258-101 Issue 4, April 1979
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Thanks for the BSP, that is of great assistance! I'm a reference / information junkie! (Think Johnny Five!)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus