News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Field telephones. (Armed forces local battery (or sound powered) telephones)

Started by dsk, December 30, 2015, 08:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Anybody her who knows if it is good forum for such phones? (It is so far from what we use talk about here)
I have a "CONTROL GROUP" AN/GRA-6 and want to know a lot about the handset H-33/PT in different versions.
etc etc.

dsk

19and41

I used to work with its' successor in the military.  It is a modified telephone system to remotely operate a radio receiver-transmitter via phone lines.  I know it may be difficult to use, but here is the period manual on the set in .pdf format.

http://www.combatindex.com/store/tech_man/Sample/Radio/1/TM_11-5820-489-20.pdf
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

The handset that is used with it is a accessory item for radio equipment requiring both an earpiece and microphone.  It was in use from the Korean war to the end of the war in Vietnam.  It was also used with field radio teletype equipment until Desert Storm.  I believe it uses a carbon microphone and a dynamic earpiece.
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

You are right, I have 2 handsets, one of them with just an empty room where the springs and transmitter capsule should be. I have been looking on eBay and seen some complete sets, but with shipping costs of more than $75.  Some of them has claimed to have electret microphones, and I am not sure if those will do the job.  The one I have in good working order has a "noise canselling transmitter" it does not collect much noise, but you have to speak pretty loud, and with your mouth almost touching the transmitter.

dsk

19and41

I would set up a search bookmark for just that specific handset on Ebay and check it regularly. there should be enough of those around that reasonably priced elements or a replacement handset should show up.
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

I will do that, seems to be one in poland to approx $10 + p&p whatever that will be.

dsk

19and41

Bookmark this dealer.  They have the best variety of replacement parts for old US military communications.  Their prices may make shipping more reasonable.

https://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk