News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT touch tone housings

Started by foots, April 06, 2010, 04:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I have a touch tone phone which I'm guessing is an ITT since the housing and handset have no markings whatsoever though the base has DK500 on it. Well, this thing has modular cords and is a hideous beige color with a beige face plate as well. I'd like to replace it with a better color housing and would prefer it to be hardwired. Did ITT make any hardwired TT phones?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

paul-f

DK500 is usually found on relatively early Kellogg 500 rotary sets.  Are there any dates anywhere to be found?  Posting the complete base marking code and photos would be useful.

Plastics with no manufacturer name pressed into them are usually generics made relatively cheaply for refurbishers.

ITT made hardwired TT phones.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

foots

Mr. Paul, there are indeed dates. The ringer is dated IV1960, the the network has no date but is marked NET. P-75335, the touch tone pad is a Comdial 35A11 dated 6-85. As for the base - well it's black and has DK-500 HC 1(3) on the bottom and on the inside near the front it's marked   K  BE.

I needed a touch tone and found this one in a shop for $7 so I took it. It's actually more of a peach color than a beige which is  the ugliest color I've ever seen, though it is in very good condition. The cashier lady told me I had just missed a black one which would have been much better. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a replacement shell, handset and cords.
P.S.  Your site is a very helpful source of information and picture references and I use it quite often.

paul-f

It sounds like your phone was worked on by an independent refurbisher.  That was quite common, and demonstrates the versatility of the 500/1500/2500 design.  You got it at a good price, too.  Now that yard sale/flea market season is upon us, perhaps you'll find a color that pleases you more.  (There's always spray paint.)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

McHeath

Here is a source for new plastics in various colors:

http://www.fivestarphones.com/index.php?cPath=59_179

I've bought some stuff from them and it's quite well made and very reasonably priced. 

foots

Quote from: paul-f on April 07, 2010, 10:30:34 PM
It sounds like your phone was worked on by an independent refurbisher.  That was quite common, and demonstrates the versatility of the 500/1500/2500 design.  You got it at a good price, too.  Now that yard sale/flea market season is upon us, perhaps you'll find a color that pleases you more.  (There's always spray paint.)

Down here its flea market season year round. Funny you should mention that though, as the antique mall in the town of Washington is having a spring sale Fri. - Sat. which I plan on attending.

McHeath, thanks for that link. I had lost it and couldn't remember the name of the company. I'm going to see if they still sell the metal key pads and perhaps an armored cord.