ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JubileeCompact

I wonder what they went for new? Probably about the same,,,,,,,,,
Actually a bit more- and obviously that's a lot more in todays $$

Although there are a few on Ebay at the moment none of them are basically unused with the original box and paperwork :)
Seamus

Contempra

Anyways, I see one at $59 on the link from Harry...

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on February 13, 2014, 08:56:04 AM
Anyways, I see one at $59 on the link from Harry...
Yes, but that is $59 in an active auction with no bids, no buy it now and almost 6 days left to go. Goodness knows where it will end up!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1970S-NORTHERN-TELECOM-AIRPLANE-TELEPHONE-ROTARY-DIAL-VINTAGE-BEAUTY-/151230513081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23360a7fb9

There are also two on Etsy asking $200 PLUS!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

The bottom priced one was the only one that didn't have the phones proper name in the title.

Terry

DavePEI

Some day I will find one at somewhere close to that price. Meanwhile, I have to justify all the museum purchases - if I have a hundred dollars to spend, I will spend it on a phone with more collector value, and of course have to pay higher than normal shipping as I am in Canada. It would be nice to have one of these someday for the kids who see the museum.

But for now, I have to watch my money. The museum doesn't have a vast network of investors - there is only myself, and its costs come directly out of my small medical pension and my savings are running out. I don't believe in charging people to see it - I have been told I should, but it is just a belief of mine I am going to stand firm on. So I have to prioritize purchases to bring the most interesting items for visitors, and I always try to have something new to attract them. Sadly, I also have to pay 3 to 4 thousand a year for building upkeep, insurance and power, so that limits my spending, too. But I do the best I can, and have received a lot of help through other collectors including specially, Terry. Thank you all.

One of these days. It is just one item on a very long wish list... :)

Funny thing as Contempra and I said, they just don't show up in Canada. None of those on eBay are from Canadian Sellers, at least at the current time. It makes me wonder if, though they were made by Northern Telecom, whether they were released only in the U.S. How I would love to find one in a yard sale!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 13, 2014, 01:18:56 PM

The bottom priced one was the only one that didn't have the phones proper name in the title.

Having no cords and fuzzy photos didn't help it either!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on February 13, 2014, 01:37:17 PM
Some day I will find one at somewhere close to that price. Meanwhile, I have to justify all the museum purchases - if I have a hundred dollars to spend, I will spend it on a phone with more collector value, and of course have to pay higher than normal shipping as I am in Canada. It would be nice to have one of these someday for the kids who see the museum
The search is over! Today, I found one at a good price, and thanks to an unexpected tax rebate, was able to purchase it. It looks to be in good shape, and the kids will have another item in the museum to have fun with!

Could use an orange modular handset cord for it....

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: paul-f on February 12, 2014, 06:36:38 PM
This topic brings up an interesting question. We don't see many novelty phone collecrtors here or in the clubs. However, there are several books on collecting novelty phones. Phoneco and OPW sell them. Why isn't there more discussion about them?

Perhaps somebody who has at least a passing interest and has few in their collection could start a thread on CRPF dedicated to novelty phones, or the moderators could put a board up dedicated to them.  Although they don't particularly "rotate my dial", I would be very interested in getting educated on what's quality and what's junk for novelty phones and what they generally go for.  I see lots of them on the Goodwill site, especially various Mickey Mouse and Harley Davidson motorcycle phones, et al.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Of all novelty phones, I like these, but just not willing to pay the premium price.  This WW2 style is cool, but again, just not willing to pay that kind of price. 

http://www.icollector.com/NORTHERN-TELECOM-ALEXANDER-GRAHAM-PLANE_i10487400
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on February 26, 2014, 01:14:53 PM
Perhaps somebody who has at least a passing interest and has few in their collection could start a thread on CRPF dedicated to novelty phones or the moderators could put a board in dedicated to them.  Although they don't particularly "rotate my dial", I would be very interested in getting educated on what's quality and what's junk for novelty phones and what they generally go for.  I see lots of them on the Goodwill site, especially various Mickey Mouse and Harley Davidson motorcycle phones, et al.
I look at these as sort of belonging to a class by themselves. Most of the widely seen novelty phones used a case made by an external company and then the various companies would put their components inside and sell them. Most of the various box phones and other design line phones were of that type.

But these were actually phones completely manufactured by Northern Electric/Telecom in the novelty style. The odd thing is, I have never seen many of them here in Canada - it appears that most were sold in the U.S. However, they are certainly a novelty style, only manufactured completely by NT (as opposed to the insides only). For some reason they were exempt for the "replace the innards thinking".

While I am not nuts on novelty phones, people visiting the museum like them, and the kids especially like Mickey, so I think this will be a popular addition.

The one I purchased was in good shape, but at some point had the orange cord it came with replaced by a while handset cord. But the price was right - as mentioned below, they tend to go for very high prices. Funny for a phone which originally sold for $125-$150!

I do agree with you. Perhaps we could start an area for novelty phones.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Here is a photo of the AGB Airrplane phone I purchased.

I have found an orange cord to replace the white on on it. Orange was the standard cord they came with, but I suspect at some time the orange cord wore out, and it was replaced with white.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

My orange plane phone has a hard-wired orange handset cord, but the line cord was apparently modular.  When I received it, the modular connector in the phone was missing.

Larry

mentalstampede

I'm not much on novelty phones generally, but I've got a soft spot for this one.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein