News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone for christmas - Needs restoring!

Started by dc4code, December 25, 2018, 01:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc4code

Just got this beauty as a Christmas present!

There are a few issues,

It needs to be cleaned,
The Dial gets stuck and moves VERY slowly does not return, etc..
The Reciever sounds like there is something rattling in there (I tried to unscrew the transmitter and receiver cap but it's like some sort of glue is preventing me!)

Also, I have NO Knowledge of pay phones at all. (Other than that some use really high voltages..)

How do I get this to work on a Landline?
Also, there are still a lot of quarters in the Coin Box I have been told, I have no keys to this payphone

There is a key slot on the side of the phone (I assume this is for Maintenance)
and there is a key slot for the Coin Box.

Where can I find these keys? (I have $50 to spend on restoring this phone!)

Here is a link the where I got it at https://offerup.com/item/detail/583682036/  ( dead link 07-12-21 )

(My parents haggled the guy and ended up only paying around $98 USD!)

Jim Stettler

The side lock is called the upper housing lock. Back in  the day these were regional keys. Many of the uppers were keyed by the State that it was located in.  If you can determine where the phone came from, you can probably find out  which upper key is needed.  Payphone installer could probably help you determine the key if you can trace the area the phone came from.
If you decide to drill or (cut the door), check with him for the best way to break in it.
Great Christmas present,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Looks like all you need for the vault door is a "T" key. They are available on eBay pretty cheaply.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dc4code

Quote from: Jim Stettler on December 25, 2018, 01:43:06 PM
If you can determine where the phone came from, you can probably find out  which upper key is needed.  Payphone installer could probably help you determine the key if you can trace the area the phone came from.

This came from New York City

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dylanc4 on December 25, 2018, 02:05:54 PM
This came from New York City
I would PM payphone installer and get his input for an upper Key. He would probably sell you a T key for the vault and be able to provide a vault lock/key if needed.
Once a payphone is securely mounted. You can use the vault as a personal vault for items of value.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

bobv

You can check with payphone.com. sale now. I got some last week.

robert_m

You have a mystery, upper says New York, and vault says bell south, if your lucky the upper is correct and would be generally one of 6 diffrent 29a keys IN NY, payphone_installer as mentioned may be able to open for you (at a cost), if the upper is original bell 29a.  If you send pick of lock on upper, if its bell south, its medeco, not a bell key, and its "possible" the UPPER is FAAE4 (medeco)  normal bell south common was 29a 39.  Bell South scrapped their payphones YEARS ago, all that were converted to protel boards were medeco locks, look in ebay for member palco he still MAY have a medeco key for the upper if the lock really is medeco, the lower your SOL.

dc4code

Quote from: robert_m on December 26, 2018, 05:43:43 PM
You have a mistory, upper says new your, and vault says bell south, if your lucky the upper is correct and would be generally one of 6 diffrent 29a keys, payphone_installer as mentioned may be able to open for you (at a cost), if the upper is original bell 29a.

I might end up drilling the locks.

Hill Haven Telephone Company

I used an air chisel with a blunt end to vibrate the bolts loose on the locks.  Works great,  never had an issue getting into one before. 

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dylanc4 on December 26, 2018, 05:47:05 PM
I might end up drilling the locks.
Check with payphone installer first. That isn't the best way to do it.
Friendly advice,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: phr34k5h0w on December 26, 2018, 06:28:37 PM
I used an air chisel with a blunt end to vibrate the bolts loose on the locks.  Works great,  never had an issue getting into one before. 
How much damage? Or what technique did you use to avoid damage.
I have heard of using your smallest bit reversed into the chuck on a hammer drill. Set the bit on the lock of the phone and hammer away.
There are some recommended ways to break into a payphone. Payphone installer has posted some good methods. He has also posted the reason you shouldn't try to drill the lock.
Jim S.
Research the forum
You live, You learn,

robert_m

Agree, I would not drill unless last resort, send pic of lock on first, the lower will be a problem period, as they were unique.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: robert_m on December 26, 2018, 07:38:30 PM
Agree, I would not drill unless last resort, send pic of lock on first, the lower will be a problem period, as they were unique.
You can always cut the door to access the lower. It is better to destroy the door than damage the phone. Doors can be cheap and can be plain or w/ logo. There is a template posted on the forum of where to cut the door.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Key2871

Drilling doesn't work very well, try the vibration method first. That's what I used to get in to seven once it took a while but it worked and no damage to the case.
KEN

Sargeguy

I used the vibration method with a hammer drill.  It did not work.  Luckily Mike Davis had the key I needed for $25
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409