"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with AE 50(?)

Started by AT2796, November 12, 2018, 07:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AT2796

Hi All!

I recently acquired this AE wall phone. It was a display piece in somebody's kitchen for years so when I got it it had a nice sticky film of kitchen grease all over it, and a rattle inside.
As the dial didn't work I was hopeful that that was the reason.
Cleaned it off and opened it up and sure enough the dial spring was rattling around the housing. Some more cleaning revealed the "Property of Philippine Long Distance Telephone CO. Manila" decal, also "PLD" scratched into the inside of the housing.

Long story short, I got the dial back together and in "working" order and hooked it up for a test. Tx and Rx just fine rings fine but can't break dial tone with the dial.
Almost all connections are soldered with the exception of the dial, handset, line and the line ring/ground ring spade.
Did i mess up the dial?
Does it have something to do with being a "long distance" phone?

The diagram below matches the wiring and hopefully some other pics will attach.

Thanks for your opinions,
Andy

Andy

stub

Andy ,
         WELCOME to the CRPF ! Post a pic of the back of your dial so we can see what you have . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AT2796

Okay, let's try this from the iPhone...
Andy

stub

Andy ,
         Does your dial open and close the pluse contacts ( pencil in pic) when dial is returning ? 
         Your dial is a AE 51 with single contacts and mine is a AE 51 A with bifurcated contacts (two contacts) . They still work the same.  stub
                                             (Left click on pics to enlarge)
Kenneth Stubblefield

AT2796

Yes, I can even hear the pulses in the earpiece.
I am wondering if all the years of kitchen grease have made a continuity path.
Maybe disassemble the contacts, clean and degrease and try again?
Andy

stub

Andy,
         Try removing the dial pulse link , wire on yours , and put paper between the contacts and see if dial tone is gone. BTW what kind of phone service do you have ?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

John,
         Thank you Sir for the highlight . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

rdelius

You need to move your inpulse cam to match the posted dial .Your ringer clapper rod appears to be missing.

AT2796

I have POTS service here and other rotaries with bells working.
I will likely be offline for 48 hrs +/- so I may not be able to test for a bit but will post results asap.

Okay I am pretty sure about the impulse cam but not sure about the ringer clapper rod.
Is that the rod with the bellclanger that strikes the bells?
If so it is there under the dial.
Andy

rdelius

I looked closer at yhe photos of the other dial and the impulse cam is off also .Someone might have a photo to show the alignment. I still do not see the clapper rod on your ringer, It wouls be brtween the coils with a clapper between the gongs

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on November 13, 2018, 09:40:44 AM
Your ringer clapper rod appears to be missing.

Regular Member Post

I'm just guessing here but isn't the clapper wire under the metal plate and in the topic phone, and the pivot point (red circle) seems to say this is a straight line ringer (top photo)?

Second photo is a stock (example from a slightly different perspective) with a frequency ringer showing the clapper under the plate and the frequency set up below the coils, not a pivot point.

rdelius

I see the magnet blocks the view

AT2796

Hi Guys,
I apologize for asking for help, then ditching the thread for a couple of days but they keep paying me so I keep working!
Stub, Yes, I lose dial tone with the link disconnected and paper separating the contacts.

As for the impulse cam, I found this diagram http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18101.0 showing the cam in a 12:00 t0 6:00 orientation. So I adjusted mine to that. Bingo! Now I break dial tone but I am 1 number behind (dialing 1 does not break DT, dialing 2, dials 1 etc...)
Also after dialing the cam reverts itself back to a 1:00 to 7:00 position similar to Stub's pics.

I will disassemble again and look for a mechanical reason but If anybody knows better I am all ears!

Thanks for everything so far!
Andy

stub

AT2796,
             Great so far ! Keep trying you might get it. If you can't get it to work right you need to send the dial to Steve Hilsz.  I get parts from him to repair my dials . He does great work.                                       http://navysalvage.com/dialrepair.html
    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

AT2796 ,
              When you finish up your cleaning of the dial place one finger in the #1 hole ,pull it to the finger stop and hold it there . Your dial should look like mine in pic. The notch in the 1st impulse contact  should drop down and line up with the lines on the impulse cam. When released it should pulse one time . If the impulse cam doesn't line up , remove the nut on the impulse cam ( don't lose the small lock washer )and remove the cam then reposition it and tighten the nut and you should be done. My dial works great on my Panasonic 616and POTS line. Hope this helps .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield