News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Daniël's Collection

Started by Tech&Music, October 20, 2015, 08:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tech&Music

I think I should really make my own thread to display my phones.
I need to get some good pictures first, but here are two phones that are my desk phones, a black Standard Rijswijk PTT Telecom SSB 51553, which requires some servicing in the hang up contacts (phone doesn't hang up the line, only cuts off sound), and a white Ericsson Rijen PTT Telecom 11420/2/W. I do want to buff up both the black one (it's gone dull) and the white one (one side has some scuffing, not very noticeable unless shone on with bright lights), but so far, they're very nice phones even just as an eye catcher, despite that both have or will have a function (soon). The white one is connected to my Gigaset One, and thus does personal calling via my ASUS ZenFone 2, the black one will be hooked up to my telephone exchange as soon as I will start planning that out and setting it up. Anyways, enough text, here they are (I know the picture isn't great, but it was a quick snap. I will do better photography of my collection soon) :

Tech&Music

Picked up another phone today, the Ericsson made PTT T65, but not just any T65, a de Luxe Smaragd (Emerald) model. PTT in the 70s offered deluxe models, such as this one, Azure Blue, Ruby Red, Mocca Brown, and Orange, the only two not named after the colour of a gemstone. A shame they didn't call the orange one "Dutch Glory" or something like that, a missed opportunity!  :P
Anyways, I quite like the brightness they gave the gemstone coloured models, especially on the Emerald model, as a lot of green phones have a darker shade of green that I just don't like. I paid €10 for it, having gotten it locally from Marktplaats. It has a little bit of discolouration going on due to a sticker once having been stuck on the front, but that doesn't bother me too much. What does slightly bother me is the dulled horn, the top of the horn lost its shine. I think giving polishing a shot wouldn't be a bad decision! Anyways, I am looking forward to continuing my T65 collection, they are my favourite type of phone just due to them being the original Dutch phone. Everyone from back then remembers them fondly, and I just find their useful yet good looking design and legendary status to be great. I think for US folks this is the equivalent of the WE 500 phones. Yet again, lots of talking, now let's look at the phone! Sorry for taking it on the floor, but my room is a mess (or should I say this mess is my room?) due to me moving some stuff around this week, so bear with me on this.

mentalstampede

Nice phones! The Ericssons really have a neat look to them.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Mr. Bones

Sweet phones, Daniël!

I have zero examples of any telephones depicted, so that automatically makes your collection cooler than mine! 8) 8)

Enjoy!

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

compubit

Cool phones!

I'm partial to the white/ivory one, but do like the Siemens Green!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm not a big fan of many phones outside of the US, but I do like the looks of the white Ericsson, especially the matching fingerwheel!

Great collection! I see expansion in the near future... :D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Tech&Music

Thanks for the nice comments!
Quote from: mentalstampede on October 21, 2015, 06:20:12 PM
Nice phones! The Ericssons really have a neat look to them.
Yes, I quite like Ericsson. Love their innovative designs, still hoping to find one of those Ericovox speaker phones!
Quote from: Mr. Bones on October 21, 2015, 06:37:28 PMI have zero examples of any telephones depicted, so that automatically makes your collection cooler than mine! 8) 8)
Well, I bet you have US phones that I don't have, so you have phones I have zero examples of! Though I did come across a WE 500 on Marktplaats last night, they asked €90 though... Too pricey for me!
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 21, 2015, 11:35:23 PM
but I do like the looks of the white Ericsson, especially the matching fingerwheel!
That fingerwheel is pretty funky, it has a slight groove that you can feel when dialing.

Now on to some more phones in my collection:
First photo, well, let me just ask you to forgive me for ever doing this. It's a painted PTT Standard built T65 from October '80, manufactured in the city of Hoogeveen. This was years ago when I was spray paint crazy, and this phone was pretty discoloured and stained. Younger me thought it was a great idea to spray paint. It turned out a bit stained, and I guess I could try and undo the painting, but the other part of me thinks that I just should leave it be.

Next up is a PTT Standard T65 TDK (touch tone model) from August '85. Found this at a thrift store either in 2014 or 2013, it's the regular grey model, quite young knowing that these models were already available in the 70s. As a matter of fact, it's a bit odd someone chose this model, since by then the PTT was offering newer models. Perhaps someone who didn't like change? The spiral cable unfortunately has the tendency to curl up completely, no idea why. But it works great and is in pretty decent shape, and I think I paid around €2,50, a pretty darn cheap price!

Then we have the one-piece-legend from Ericsson, the Ericofon. Mine is the dark brown PTT model, which was one of the three colours the PTT offered. In true PTT colour style, there was white, red, and dark brown. The red and brown colours were custom to these PTT models, and especially the red one is highly sought after because the tone of red on this model is deeper than the international, more common model. These phones never really caught on in the Netherlands, but you can find the odd Ericofon here and there. Nothing beats the ol' T65 line though!

And lastly a bit of a more modern face, the PTT Twintook Type IDK. Despite having buttons, it's actually pulse dialing. Unfortunately I tried it out on my Gigaset XLink and it didn't work! It seems not to understand it. If it's daisy chained with a phone that has a bell, it makes it ring for a second if you press 3, 2, or 1, but only once. If you take the horn on the other phone and put it back, it rings shortly, then you can do that button thing again. No idea why it does that, none of the other phones do. It's a true eighties phone, straight but smoothed edges. Unlike what it might seem like, it cannot actually be hung to a wall. I do find the horn to be quite comfortable to use, though. Paid like €0,50-€1,00 for this, so I couldn't pass up. It's part of the PTT history.

Matilo Telephones

Hi Daniël, very nice collection there.

What do you mean, your white dial has a groove? A scratch you mean?

Your twintoon has a pulse/tone switch, on the bottom. You need to open a hatch or slide off a panel to reach it.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Tech&Music

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on October 23, 2015, 06:21:11 AM
Hi Daniël, very nice collection there.

What do you mean, your white dial has a groove? A scratch you mean?

Your twintoon has a pulse/tone switch, on the bottom. You need to open a hatch or slide off a panel to reach it.
With groove, I meant that it's slight U shaped instead of flat, which you can feel when dialing.

I did check for a switch on the Twinfoon, but it is nowhere to be found, even under the hatch!

compubit

Quote from: Daniël Oosterhuis on November 07, 2015, 02:30:14 PM

I did check for a switch on the Twinfoon, but it is nowhere to be found, even under the hatch!

Although not completely familiar with that model, most of the European (and some US) phones I have seen over the years that don't have a * and # symbol on the pad are "hard wired" for pulse usage.  There may be a switch or jumper inside the phone, but I'm guessing it was in operation "pre DTMF" where ever it was used.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Tech&Music

Well, got some new phones today! Two of them I bought online and went to pick up, one of them I actually found in a thrift and vinyl record shop that I stopped by since it was between two of the towns I picked up said phones.
First, we got a Fernsig Essen 60s phone which is meant to be used in mines. Picked it up for €15 from a guy that was going to use it for decoration purposes but never got around to hanging it up. Didn't know whether it worked, and the cable was cut. Tested it out this evening: It works great! It's pretty dirty, so I still got some clean up work to do. I went to the hardware store for some new cable, and some bolts to mount it to the wall, which will be in the garage. I will use one of those powerline phone adapters, and I'll hook it up to the yet to be made C*NET set up, so I can be reached in the garage which will be turned into my workshop for phones and other projects. I'll probably mount it tomorrow.

Next is a copper ATEA/RTT phone. This is the one I found at the thrift and vinyl record shop, also €15. It's pretty rough, but I like these little copper/Bakelite phones so I picked it up regardless. I will interconnect this with the Fernsig phone, so I can use both in the garage. It just screams workshop with the rough copper. It will need a bit of an internal cleaning because the dial wheel is a bit gummed up it seems, as it every now and then gets a bit stuck and moves slow. When I help it a bit, it dials fine and still works fine as well. Other side can hear me perfectly. The cables still have the covers on them, although the phone line cable at the end goes into a terminal, and out of the terminal comes two wires which go to the PTT plug. Why this was done, no idea. I'll probably use some speaker cable to extend it so I can put it further away from the Fernsig, as two phones next to each other makes less sense than two spread over the room.

Third is a €5 PTT T65 De Luxe Ivory White phone, to extend my T65 collection. It works fine, though is a bit rough. I really need to clean out the garage to make it a proper workshop so I can finally work on my phones! Anyways, quite happy with this one as well.

Matilo Telephones

Hi Daniël,

Nice collection you´ve got growing there.  :)

You your new acquisitions. Especially that Fernsig.

Anyway, took a picture of my twintone, inside the hatch. The P/T switch is the black sliding button just above the blue sticker. It is marked with a p and t, the appropriate letter showing when the slider is fully to the left or to the right. I put mine in the middle, for the purpose of this picture, showing both letters.

Doesn´t your example have such a switch? Isn´t there IDK/TDK on the blue label?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Mr. Bones

Very nice phones, Daniël. 8)

Thanks for sharing, I don't see many of these here in the states. Always good to learn new things, and broaden ones perspectives.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Tech&Music

The Fernsig phone is now mounted on the garage wall! It's pretty straight on the spirit level, couldn't do better because those bricks are a pain. The door and especially the cupboard on the sides of the photo both aren't exactly straight on it, so I guess I did do decent enough :)
I can tell you this: This thing is LOUD! The bell seems to be a bit crapped up (I can see cobwebs inside of the bell cap, so I guess when I can get on top of my arachnophobia I'll clean it out), but it makes that much noise that it can be heard in the living room, which is quite an achievement! Well, I guess I can hear it ring when working with power tools, and, am glad Asterisk has an office hours settings so no one can forget time zones and on accident call me in the middle of the night, waking the neighbourhood up with that phone! The dial wheel cleaned up quite well and looks really lightly used, no discolouration. It's also dead silent when dialing, which is very nice. Perhaps it has been replaced somewhere in its life? I can find pictures with the original dial wheel being black, but with the same little number wheel and screw in the middle.

Tech&Music

I uploaded some videos on three of these phones, unfortunately I cannot embed them into a post so you'll have to open them here:

Fernsig Essen Mine Phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyL63TKbz3w
PTT T65 TDK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDyUzcFKJDU
RTT56: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCwhWZWDmM