"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 925 ashtray phone dial question

Started by cloyd, December 24, 2015, 05:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Happy Holiday everyone!
I just received my Christmas present to myself in the mail.  It's a Kellogg ashtray phone and it appears to have a dial plate that is black numbers printed on a shiny aluminum? plate.  I couldn't tell that it was unusual in the ebay photos so it was unexpected.  Can anyone tell me HOW unusual it is?  Is it "bad" unusual or "good" unusual.  My other Kellogg phones have white dial plates.  OPW doesn't carry any aluminum dial plates for Kellogg.

Here are the pics and, you were right rdelius, it is an AE dial.  I suppose it can stay but why put an AE dial in a Kellogg phone?  Which AE phone was this dial originally intended for?

Also, I have read here on CRPF that the Kellogg receiver elements are subpar.  I'll test my phone as soon as I find my DialGizmo!  :(  Can I substitute them for something else and get better results?  Where can I find them and what, exactly, are they called so I can search for them?

Thank you again,
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

rdelius

That # plate is most likely AE.Some Kellogg dials were similar enough with AE that parts could be interchanged.I have seen the plates you decsribed on mostly 1940s vintage sets.