News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - October 2014

Started by AE_Collector, October 01, 2014, 01:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - October 2014  (Run-Off -> ONE VOTE)

Kenton K's red 302 that he bought in an eBay auction for $55 plus shipping.
16 (53.3%)
rrnora's Maroon North Electric Galion found for $35 at a Flea Market.
14 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" for October 2014 here.

A "Find of the Month" is an item that you personally acquired within the last month, or so, that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" you got on it, etc.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one Phone, one phone Item or one "Find" that might include multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find for next months contest.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on PhotoBucket. Thanks John.

To check them out, click --> HERE <--
[/quote]

TelePlay

Here's an early nomination, but one worthy of being nominated. I'd like to nominate Kenton K's red 302 that he found and bought in an eBay auction for $55 plus shipping. He spotted this red 302 with matching handset under a coat of flat black paint in a poor eBay photo. Great job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-F1-BLACK-ROTARY-DIAL-TELEPHONE-/191351839159

This great acquisition was posted on the forum in its own topic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12738.0

EDIT:  after photo added

The last picture is "after" the black paint and whatever was removed by Kenton K. Nice job!

Sargeguy

I am going to nominate my JimH's Rose 302 dated 3/39 that he stole out from under my nose picked up on Craig's List for $70.  It is an excellent example of an early painted 302 at a bargain price!  ALthough they may not command as high a price, these are much harder to find than the thermoplastic version, and are rarely this complete.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenton K

WEBellSystemChristian

Just for giggles (since there's pretty much no way of me winning with these beauties already nominated) I'll nominate my all-1958 WE 554 in red that I got for $48 BiN on eBay. I was pretty scared when I found out that this was the seller's first sold item, but was very happy when it came very well-packed and in one piece. All it needed was a good polish, and it's all ready for display!

www.ebay.com/itm/141434347789
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 17, 2014, 11:54:14 PM
Just for giggles (since there's pretty much no way of me winning with these beauties already nominated) I'll nominate my all-1958 WE 554 in red that I got for $48 BiN on eBay. I was pretty scared when I found out that this was the seller's first sold item, but was very happy when it came very well-packed and in one piece. All it needed was a good polish, and it's all ready for display!

Well, I would giggle if I found it! There is nothing to be ashamed of with this telephone. Red 554s before 1959 are hard to find, especially in such good condition.  Congratulations.

There are red 302s for sale almost any time, but I dare anyone to find one of these every month.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on October 18, 2014, 10:17:54 AM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 17, 2014, 11:54:14 PM

Well, I would giggle if I found it! There is nothing to be ashamed of with this telephone. Red 554s before 1959 are hard to find, especially in such good condition.  Congratulations.

There are red 302s for sale almost any time, but I dare anyone to find one of these every month.

Thank you very much for the kind words! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Fabius

Found in a Michigan antique shop. A metal shell 1946 WECO model 302. Everything is dated 1946. An example of the metal shell 302s that were made to meet the huge demand for telephone service following World War 2. In excellent condition. $41
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

tipnring

Had a good week. Picked up a couple of AE 40 's and an AE spacesaver.  Best thing was I never paid a dime for them..All the parts are intact. Just needs some cleaning up (hopefully)

Kenton K

I would like to nominate rrnora's wonderful maroon North Electric Galion. What a find at the Flea Market for $35 and a great way to start a collection!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12881.0

Kenton K

And, for posterity, I'll add my red 302 post restoration.

Also, I just noticed that this month's finds have been colorful (in a shade of red)!

-Ken

----------------------------------

EDIT: the FotM nomination and pre-restoration pictures are above at this link

Sargeguy

This is my second nomination of the month, John S.'s TYPE 85E with #240 (or is it 242?) bracket arm that he purchased as part of a lot for $350.  This configuration is very difficult to come by and another TYPE 85 with the same or similar arm sold for nearly $3000 a couple years ago. 

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Slal

Unless I missed it, & someone beat me to the punch how about Persido's dark gray 500 for only three bucks!

Green (made that gray) with envy.  ; )

Photos & his original topic here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12927.0

--Bruce

----------------------------

EDIT:  Photos added for convenience

EDIT #2: This phone is currently for sale on eBay: Western-Electric-Oxford-Gray-500-Telephone-1954

WesternElectricBen

I can tell this will be a very, very interesting Find of the Month competition this month.

Ben

Slal

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 27, 2014, 06:16:46 PM
I can tell this will be a very, very interesting Find of the Month competition this month.

Ben

Interesting choices and a tough vote.   Three beautiful 302's in one month.  What are the odds & which one to vote for? 

Had never even *heard* of a Type 85E, So that's educational.  Vote for that one?

Happy for WEBellSystemChristian.  I'd sniped a turquoise WE500 for 45 bucks hoping it wasn't a franken-phone.  Turns out dates matched except HS cord.  Happy me...

It's also nice to see newcomers nominated too.  Competing against collectors who've been at this for years like high school junior varsity squad going up against professional sports team.   No contest...    ; )

So real King Solomon decision.  Type in phones into a random sampler and click "select."

Everyone has an equal chance of at least one vote from yours truly.  ; )

--Bruce