19 (90.5%)
NO - Post info on a phone in as many locations as you think neccesary
1 (4.8%)
Don't Care
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 02, 2012, 12:49:37 AM

AE_Collector

I regularly see topics about a phone, maybe it was bought on ebaY or at a Flea Market and then sometime later I see another topic has been started about the same phone either once it has arrived or after it has been restored.

Personally I like the continuity of a single topic with all of the posts about a particular phone. In other words I prefer the original poster to add to his original post once it arrives or is finished he restoration process rather than starting another thread.

Sometimes the Original Poster might decide that "The rest of the Story" should now be on a different board such as "Collectors Corner" rather than on "Flea Market / Yard Sale Finds" which could be a valid arguement.

I have from time to time merged seperate posts back together but always wonder if I am over stepping as maybe others here on the CRPF don't agree with my thoughts on the subject. So, now is your opportunity to tell me your thoughts. This won't be a hard and fast rule as there are always exceptions but rather a general rule to follow.

Vote Yes, No or Don't Care.

Thanks.......Terry

Greg G.

Yes with one qualification.  I often start a "show and tell" thread about a new phone acquisition in the Yard sale/Flea Market area.  Then once I get to digging into it, I'll start a different thread about the same phone in the Trouble Shooting and Repair area if there's a technical problem I need answered.  Once it's been fixed, cleaned, polished, I'll add that to the original thread.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Yes that sounds reasonable Greg. Specific repair items like that makes sense to post about elsewhere OR if it turned out to be a particularly rare example that should be in "Collectors Corner" etc.

There is a pop up "warning" that you get if you try to add to a post that hasn't been added to in something like 90 days that I would like to see go away. When you first see that warning you think that you should post a new thread which I disagree with. I don't think it matters how old a thread is if it is the same topic or the same phone / phone type I prefer to to see the comments added to the existing thread for continuity in most cases.

Just my thoughts,

Terry

TelePlay

Yes, I totally agree with the comments, exceptions.

And, yes, that warning is not needed. I just ignore it and post anyway. Just because it's been a few months before something new comes up on an old thread, that is no reason to start a new topic. None at all.

dsk

Yes, and no.
All info about a specific phone in on thread: Yes!

Threads may be about other things, and info about a phone could be relevant here too.
This info could be posted in more than one thread.
Not easy, but my vote goes to the first option.

dsk

Dennis Markham

Quote from: TelePlay on September 17, 2012, 12:23:22 AM
And, yes, that warning is not needed. I just ignore it and post anyway. Just because it's been a few months before something new comes up on an old thread, that is no reason to start a new topic. None at all.

I agree and just ignore that warning.  For example the thread we have about members showing off their collections.  That thread has been added to since the first post, over some period of time.  That is the design of the software, I believe.  I will look to see if it is something I can "turn off".  You have a YES vote from me Terry.....like with everything there is always an exception to the rule.

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on September 16, 2012, 10:47:58 PM
Sometimes the Original Poster might decide that "The rest of the Story" should now be on a different board such as "Collectors Corner" rather than on "Flea Market / Yard Sale Finds" which could be a valid arguement.

Hi Terry:

As always, it isn't a cut and dry question. Yes, I have often seen dual posts crop up on the same phone. They should usually be merged.

However, I can think of exceptions. e.g. where a post began in the Classified section, where someone is looking for  a part, etc. Then when they get what they need, it should be moved if the thread continues in a technical direction (as I did recently when I posted looking for information and a part for my adjunct dial).

Now, most users can't do that themselves, so it is up to us to move it for them. Now, continuing one this, I can think of another reason to leave posts which are basically duplicated. Suppose someone finds a phone - has no plans for it, and passes in a sale, trade whatever, then the final recipient of it prepares to fix it up, etc.

Now the first owner might post it in yard sale finds or whatnot, but when the new owner who is actually working on the phone may post to the technical area. I say that is ok.

So any merging of topics needs to be done with common sense. I myself are more concerned in topics which wind up in altogether the wrong area of the board - I move them with no conscience :-)

It is all something that has to be considered on a case to case basis, and we can't take it too lightly. We don't want to upset anyone.

And to those posting. Think about where you post items. If it in the correct category, it is more likely to bring a better response, and in the future, it will be easier for those who need the information to find it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

The text part of the posts will not use much of the memory for the forum, so if pictures is linked in post no 2 and 3 it should be no problem.
E.g. a telephone is described in one post with picture(s), and a link to that picture may be used in another post about eg the dials.

dsk

AE_Collector

Most of the comments are pretty much my feeling on the subject as well. Any of the specific boards such as repair or restoration are okay as the topic there could be any phone or at least any similar make/model of phone and the discussion is likely generic to any phone of the same type.

Where a new topic is created about a phone seemingly because a few weeks has passed between purchase and arrival makes little sense and most of us would prefer to see the continuity of a single post about the phone.

Therefore unless the comments here change substantially we will attempt to merge seperate discussions into a single discussion where it makes sense to do so. So logically we request that people posting keep this in mind when posting.

Another request is to title your new threads in a descriptive manner that makes the subject somewhat easily found by future searches.

Terry