News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE40 not transmitting!

Started by Volvoguy, July 02, 2014, 09:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volvoguy

I have recently picked up two AE40's, let's call them phone A and phone B. Phone A rings, dials, and receives the other persons voice fine. The other person can not hear me whatsoever though. Phone B works perfectly. I swapped transmitter elements and they both function the same. I am going to open up phone A tonight and look around, but thought I would would get some ideas at what to look for. I am new to the 40's and am not in tune with the innards.

Thanks for any ideas!

WesternElectricBen

Did you try re-positioning or cleaning the contacts?

B/c your transmitter is good, as you tried it in another phone and it worked.

Ben

dsk

Sounds like a shorted transmitter. so the first I would check was: Do you get a dial tone without any transmitter at all, if yes, examine the cord and contacts for shorts. If no fault located: try to remove capacitor cord from T terminal of handset cord wire. (tape end)
Still no "cure" check if the cord wires not has been swapped.

dsk

Volvoguy

That's exactly the kind of troubleshooting I was looking for. Didn't get around to it tonight, my little guy didn't want to sleep easily and I have an early morning. But I'll check all that out tomorrow afternoon and report back!

Thanks!

Volvoguy

Well that was easy! Opened it up and the green and red from the handset were touching. Loosened one screw, rotated the wire and it was good to go!  Thanks!

dsk

Congratulations with 2 great working telephones!
dsk

Babybearjs

I hate shorts! The AE 40/50 are 2 really nice phones, but take note... they can't be intermingled with W.E. phone or you'll get what I call a "ringback" from the bells when dialing out.... at one point it was easy to fix by reversing the wires, but sometimes that doesn't even work....
John

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 20, 2014, 06:30:53 PM
I hate shorts! The AE 40/50 are 2 really nice phones, but take note... they can't be intermingled with W.E. phone or you'll get what I call a "ringback" from the bells when dialing out.... at one point it was easy to fix by reversing the wires, but sometimes that doesn't even work....

John,

I have 7 WE phones hooked up, along with 1 AE40, here at home.

I don't get any 'bell tinkle' from any of them, when dialing out on any other.

Maybe it is polarity sensitive, as you have noted, or possibly other factors. Ringer spring bias? How each set is wired? I don't have any concrete answers for you, but my AE exists fine with the WEs, at least so far.

I am looking forward to hearing from others that have a mixture of phones active on the same line... it is always a pleasure to benefit from the experience of others...

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Volvoguy

I haven't tried a mixture of WE and AE, but i do have an ericofon hooked up at the same time as the AE40, and have no problems when dialing out on the ericofon.