News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can anyone still dial a code number to make your own phone ring ?

Started by guitar1580, January 03, 2011, 06:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

donna

NorthernMan

Paper clip or .......... 4 inches of style B with 3/8 inch insulation removed on one side and the other side wire and insulation cut right off. At least thats what was used when the fancy dancy store bought one was lost.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 03, 2011, 01:40:38 PM
Where I grew up, the number was simply 119, and the fourth number was for party #1,2, etc.  Since we had a private line, we just dialed 1191 and hung up to get it to ring.

113 used to be repair service, and 114 used to be information.  
went to 411 and 311.  

How about 112 for Long Distance?
116 was information here and 114 was repair. Sort of backwards since 411 became information.
I can't recall if reverting calls was 118 or 119 but I recal lhaving to dial either 1 or 2 additional 1's on the end.

When I had my black 80 extension phone installed in my bedroom as a teenager, I didn't get to hassle the installer becasue I was at school. I had pre-run the wiring within the house for the guy though which apparently made his day!

Terry

bingster

Here, it was "0" for long distance, 411 for information, 611 for the business office, and 811 was repair.

We used to be able to get our own phone to ring by the "dial your own number and quickly hang up" method. 
= DARRIN =

bwanna

959 is the pre-fix we use around here for the drop wire id number & ringbacks. there are also numbers for a "quiet" line & open line. with cell phones & the "800" mechanized loop test number, i haven't used any of the "959" numbers in a long time.
donna

NorthernMan

Todays I/R people with cellphones have no use for ringback. At the local army base the rumor flew that if you dialed a certain number and hungup your phone and it rang back that meant your phone was tapped. Paronoid or what.

rp2813

Back in the 1960's when we were still on a Pacific Telephone crossbar switch, I'm guessing, we would dial 960, wait for a click, then dial 6 and hang up.  That would get the phone to ring back.

I lived in Verizon territory up until a couple of years ago.  At that time, I was still able to dial my home phone number, wait for the beep, and hang up in order to get it to ring back.  I think we were on either a 5E or DMS switch.

Long ago, a neighbor kid and I noticed that a phone tech had left his tool box out on the curb, so we grabbed it.  It had mostly connectors in it and some odds and ends, and one tool I've never been able to figure out.  Maybe I'll snap a picture of it and post it here.  I still have the box and most of its contents, as there wasn't much in it that would be useful in the average residential wiring scheme.
Ralph

AE_Collector

Quote from: rp2813 on January 04, 2011, 02:15:15 PM
I lived in Verizon territory up until a couple of years ago.  At that time, I was still able to dial my home phone number, wait for the beep, and hang up in order to get it to ring back.  I think we were on either a 5E or DMS switch.

Was it a traditional GTE portion of Verizon territory? If so, it could have been a GTD5 switch. we have LOTS of GTD5's here and that is exactly what you do to ring your phone. If you don't hang up right away the beep repeats every 3 or 4 seconds until you hang up.

Terry

Jim Stettler

Last I tried the local ring back was 99n-xxxx. n is a digit between 1-0 and xxxx are the last 4 of your telephone #.

n varies by exchange.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

A little off topic but party lines were mentioned and a friend of mine from church said they still had a party line in 1990 he was born in 88 and remembers it
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

rp2813

Terry, yes, it was GTE territory from way back.  You're probably right about the switch type, and yeah, it would keep beeping until you hung up.
Ralph

Dave203

Last I knew in 2008 in Danbury area of Connecticut at my house I could dial 991-xxxx and for xxxx put in the last four of the phone I was calling from and click over hear the beep hang up and it rang back with a tone.

This was taught to me by my bigger sisters at a payphone one day and I thought it was the most coolest thing ever. I must have been 6 or 7. From that day on I made every payphone I would pass ring.

It doesn't work on any payphones any more even if you can find them. Next time I am near a real dial tone line I will try to see if it still works.

Also in the same local area ANI number is 970

Time and Temp 511 also worked in 2008 and it really forwards to 860-524-8123 <-still works

GTE Rick

I live in Long Beach, California and have FIOS digital voice... one day I was Playing on the phone and found that if I dial *53 I get busy and when I hang up I get double ring and if  I dial *54 I get a busy and get a  short short long ring

Very interesting

Rick
Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

Greg G.

Get a PBX, then you only have to dial two digits to test your phone.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenton K

I can still dial 958-(last 4 digits) to get ringback. I live in San Francisco Bay Area and have AT&T.

Fun!