News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Painting Zinc Housings?

Started by HobieSport, November 29, 2008, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

I'm wondering about the best methods and what paint to use on zinc 302 housings.

How to prep the housing for the new paint?

Has anyone found a durable black that best matches the original paint and texture/sheen on a metal 302?

Dan/Panther and others here have some experience in painting metal (I understand that the paint should be baked) and I'd sure like to know what you'all have found out about what works the best.

Dan/Panther

The paint that seems to work best for me is made for True Value. I bake it for about 2 hours or so, at 220 Degrees.
I've tried other temperatures and paints, and that seems to work best in my applications. Higher temperatures and the paint seems slightly sticky for a time.
No spray is going to be as hard as the original paint. You need an epoxy paint with hardener to get the same hardness of the paint. I had a part from my Oak wall phone I wanted to repaint, it took me a while to get the old paint off, using a heavy pedestal wire wheel. It almost resembles porcelain. The problem with that though, is by the time you got the glaze to firing temperature, the base metal woulld melt.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson