News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ringer help

Started by Steve, December 21, 2008, 12:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I would like to disable, or preferably alter to a lower volume, the ringer on my 554. can anyone let me know the best way to do this?

heres a pic if it helps any *Shrug*

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

McHeath

I know it's not kosher but I have a couple of ways to quiet a 500/554 series ringer.  One is simply to muffle it with tissue in the bells, er gongs.  I've done this, did it to one 500 I had for about 20 years, and it's okay but it ruins the sound.  The main way I quiet them is to bend the wire that adjusts the volume control just enough so that when you turn the wheel to all the way quiet it actually shuts off the ringer.  Then when you turn it to the first stop for ringing it's very very quiet, just the right level to me, and yet it still sounds like a classic 500 series ringer.  When I have time I'll post some pictures of my modification. 

Steve

I'd love to see the pics, as I wouldn't want to break anything in the phone.

the ringer in this phone doesn't sound right, because I have the dsl filter, as well as the modular back plate on it. it's away from the wall a good inch, making the ringer sound funny. I figured I could get a resistor or something to wire inline to cut the voltage. but, what do I know...
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bingster

That's an awful lot of work to disable a ringer.  All you need to do is disconnect the ringer's red wire from the network and connect it to the terminal that the ringer's black wire is connected to.  In other words, connect the ringer's black and red wires.

You an also use the approved Bell System method of bending back the stop tab, as McHeath mentioned.  That will allow the volume control to move one notch farther than it normally does, and that should silence the ringer.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Gee I didn't know it was called a stop tab, that's good to know.  This method does work nicely to quiet a ringer and give you the option to turn it off without having to pull the housing and disconnect or connect wires. 

As for using a resistor to lower the voltage, I guess that would work as well.  I did something like that to reduce the sidetone in my 51' model 500.

And as Bingster says, you can just disconnect the wires.

Sargeguy

You may also want to try removing the DSL filter.  In my experience they do absolutely nothing to improve the quality of DSL service.  If you notice a difference you can always put it back on.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

Here's a picture of the wire to bend.  This phone is a 1984 WE 500, and the white Bic ballpoint pen is pointing at the wire that you need to bend.  Ever so slightly give it a bend in the direction of the pen, just enough so that it will fully engauge the rotating volume wheel at the quietest setting.  Then when you kick it up a notch the ringer will very lightly sound.

bingster

I didn't know you could do that.  The stop tab I was talking about is shown highlighted below.  Bending it backward (away from the gong) will let the ringer volume control move one detent further toward "quiet," silencing the ringer.
= DARRIN =

Steve

Well,

I'm glad you guys posted pics to clear up any confusion.. ;D

I wont be doing this until my wife "officially" gives me the new 12' cord for Christmas. was going to work the ringer, and clean up the case and handset, when installing the new cord. the phone still has that baked in goodness of fried fish and winstons  ( I did clean it with comet cleanser already, but want to do it one more time)
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,