News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 Subset cover

Started by Pourme, October 29, 2016, 08:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Because I don't own enough factory subsets to accommodate the phones that need them, I use 302 bases as subsets. I have been thinking about what I could do to create covers for the bare subsets I currently am using on my "phone wall" and elsewhere.

The custom subset cover most commonly used, at $25.00 + shipping each, are only for desk top use, 95% of the time I prefer to mount them on the wall.

What I am showing you today, I'll call my prototype. I bought a unfinished box at Hobby Lobby. The size and stock number, you can see on the picture. The width is almost perfect. It is a little tall, but is it? I would like to add those round, flush mounted modular plugs so I can change out display phones easily. The extra space can be used for that purpose. I don't care for the handle that comes already on the box. In the future I will remove it and fill out the holes.  I didn't remove the corner pieces prior to staining because I didn't want to mar the soft wood pulling the nails, the rest of the hardware was easily removed because they have screws.

I removed the feet from the 302 and placed them on the outside of the box. I had to replace the screws with longer ones to accommodate the added thickness. I put the hole for the wires on the top, could use a gromnet. You could run the wires under the box and come in from the bottom, utilizing the space created by the feet. I like the latches. they function well and look alright. I drilled three holes in the box adjacent to the ringer.

For five bucks, readily available on the shelf at your local Hobby Lobby, I am pleased. And you have the option for a desk or wall mount.

Thoughts?

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

Nice work around. Have you thought about painting them black and leaving the brass corners, hinges and latches brass? And even removing the latches and putting a one machine screw on the front to catch a threaded "L" bracket on the inside to look more like an old wood subset box?

Wouldn't be anything close to an original factory ringer but it would look sharp next to your black phones.

Pourme

Quote from: TelePlay on October 30, 2016, 01:06:09 AM
Nice work around. Have you thought about painting them black and leaving the brass corners, hinges and latches brass? And even removing the latches and putting a one machine screw on the front to catch a threaded "L" bracket on the inside to look more like an old wood subset box?

Wouldn't be anything close to an original factory ringer but it would look sharp next to your black phones.

I may try that. It didn't occur to me to do that....Good idea!
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on October 30, 2016, 12:24:56 PM
I may try that. It didn't occur to me to do that....Good idea!

And, with internal bells, you might consider cutting slotted vents in the top and bottom to get a better or louder ring. A template with a small, straight router bit would work, among other things. Or 1/2 inch, or so, holes in a old style pattern would be easier.

Pourme

I did think about the slotted vents. In the end I had to go with what I had. I don't own a router. I was concerned about making the holes as neat as possible and the current holes represent the drill bit I had that was the largest without being too large. I will purchase a bit to make larger holes.

I will pick up more boxes next week and create the "new and improved" version, biased on these recommendations.

Thanks!
Benny