News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Tommorow's World" Rotary Mobile 1979

Started by gpo706, September 15, 2009, 06:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Tommorow's World was a long running BBC series from mid 60's to early this century, highlighty science, industry, medicine and technology.

BBC have posted a bunch of clips recently, here's a GPO trial "mody" from 1979, even with a dial!

Your "roving" (literally on this film insert) reporter is Michael Rodd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/tomorrowsworld/8018.shtml?all=2&id=8018

There's few other phone related bits, like the home computer from the 60's, the Prestel service in an 80's episode, and one where the more technially minded will love where they explain how the then GPO monopoly used a simple pitch adjuster to monitor a heart patients pacemaker over a phne line to your surgean without buggering the exchange...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/tomorrowsworld
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

gpo706

Check out the bloke can Morse send with his voice to a teleprinter and a phone, amazing!

AND its a weird two-tone looking 500 with lights he uses on his to connect to the GPO 706 in the studio.

Mindblowing!

gpo706

Phonesrfun

This link says it is not available in my area.  I guess I am on the wrong side of the pond, old chap.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Ditto here in Michigan.  Not available in my area.

JorgeAmely

Bill, Dennis:

Those links work fine on the left coast.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Just tried it again.  No luck.  Maybe it doesn't like Mozilla??  Jorge, do you use Mozilla Firefox?

bingster

We have a lot of trouble with this on the radio forum--many of the BBC's pages contain content that we can't access because of clearance issues.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Jorge I am also on the left coast up here in the State of Wa.  Maybe it depends on the internet provider.  Mine is Charter.
-Bill G

McHeath

Rats, they don't work in my part of Kawleefourneeya.  

JorgeAmely

Guys:

I use Firefox, the latest version. My provider is ATT (thru SBC Global).

Jorge

McHeath

I use AT & T as well, but no go to get them to play.  Very little BBC content ever is allowed in my area, usually get the "not available in your area" line. 

dsk

I cant see it here in Norway, so I will with this ask someone who may see it to record it, and send it.  If you use mozilla firefox, the add-on "net video hunter" should do the job.etc

dsk

Bill

Firefox 3.5.2, Road Runner/Time Warner, Maine, works good.

Bill