News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

460 Type 6 Key phone

Started by HowardPgh, January 04, 2013, 11:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

Does any one have any kind of info on this phone?
There appears to be none in the TCI library.  My search was based on the BSPs listed on Paul F's site.
I think the full number on the bottom 460 GC3.  The phone works, I just like to know more about it.  It just seems to be a basic 302 with a switching mechanism in it.
Is there supposed to be some sort of connector on the end of the cord? It was cut off at the strain relief,  What color were the buttons originally? One button is sluggish but the rest of them work OK when the bad one is pulled up,
Howard
Howard

poplar1

460=No lamps 464=With lamps.
Buttons were originally brown, then clear. (The WE "Telephone Story" chart shows white buttons in 1938; anyone seen these?)
These had spade tip ended wires. The amphenol plug found on 564s did not happen until around 1964.

If the phone is opened up, do the brass selector buttons work properly? If so, the plastic buttons may be binding in the housing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HowardPgh

The brass part works fine. The button is binding in its hole.
Howard

Russ Kirk

Here are some comparison photos of a 302 vs. 460.   

Forgive the dust,  they are recent additions and waiting in line for resoration when I have nothing to do.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

ESalter

Quote from: HowardPgh on January 04, 2013, 01:36:16 PM
The brass part works fine. The button is binding in its hole.

I had the same problem with a 460 I bought.  The plastic of the housing shrinks around the bakelite buttons.  I carefully remoed the buttons and chucked them up in my cordless drill.  While spinning them I carefully filed the outer flange of the button down until they slid in the holes nicely.  Afterwards you can't tell I did anything and all of the buttons operate flawlessly.

---Eric

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on January 04, 2013, 12:14:03 PM

Buttons were originally brown, then clear. (The WE "Telephone Story" chart shows white buttons in 1938; anyone seen these?)

Brown buttons -- no lamps
Clear buttons -- lamps

I suspect the buttons on the Telephone Story poster are clear.  They make them look whiter so they'd stand out.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

I never realised how much deeper the 440/444/460/464 was than a 302. The aerial shot really points that out!

Terry

HowardPgh

I found a BSP for this phone 460 GC.
It is in the TCI library 502-435-400.   Howard

Russ-I see that your 460 phone  cord was "neutered" also.  It is sad that the technician didn't take the time to undo the terminals.
Howard

Babybearjs

I have several of these phones, all in working order. amazing what the difference is when you take a 460 series and stick it next to a 560 series phone. but it complements the 300 series so well... an absolute work of art! I really love them. and they work so well! easy to wire too! only needs about 24 wires on the 464... as apposed to the 25 pair you need for the 564... just haven't been able to get a buzzer inside the case when you still want to have the bell.... where did they put it??? wound up having to use a #7 buzzer on the baseboard... frustrating when you want to keep things concealed...
John

AE_Collector

May have been a "Customer removal". Telco's told customers to just cut the cord when returning hard wired rental equipment and when these sets were still in use this was ALL rental equipment. SO, the KSU may still be out there waiting to be found!

Terry

poplar1

Quote from: paul-f on January 04, 2013, 08:25:41 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on January 04, 2013, 12:14:03 PM

Brown buttons -- no lamps
Clear buttons -- lamps

I suspect the buttons on the Telephone Story poster are clear.  They make them look whiter so they'd stand out.

Only the oldest 440s and 460s had brown buttons (listed as "black" in the BSPs). Later 440s and 460s had clear buttons even though the lamps and lamp holder were not furnished.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.