News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yet Another Prewar Ivory 302?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 12, 2015, 01:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

It was described as the "Ugliest Rotary Phone on The Planet" for good reason. But look closer, underneath that horrid gold paint. I think this phone was a factory Prewar Ivory 302. The gold paint is chipping off the handset, where you can see darker, non-postwar ivory color peeking out from underneath. Unfortunately (but fortunately because it helped me spot it, depending how you look at it) there are a few scratches in the body that go down to the metal, but they expose the same ivory paint. I thought twice about this, that the ivory paint could be spray paint, but it seems to be much tougher than the gold paint, which is chipping off everywhere.

The handset appears to be seamed, but what do you guys think? Does it seem legitimate to you? Could a black handset have been used in place of a seamless brown?

I got it for $15.50 + shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151640776620
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Was watching it.  Too much work, too little reward.  Handset is black Bakelite with groves on handle and caps.  Dial plate is 1953+. Cords are junk.

WEBellSystemChristian

Despite the grooved (assumingly black) F1, does the ivory paint job seem authentic? To me, it seems far tougher than the spray paint that was used for the gold paint on top.
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

I wouldn't dare to speculate about that "finish", LOL.

TelePlay

Looking at the bottom photos, it looks like black plastic painted with at least 2 different colors. That's my ventured opinion and I'm sticking with it until you get the phone and let us all know what you really bought.

WEBellSystemChristian

I guess it is a matter of opinion at this moment, but the housing looks like aged Zinc to me. It's very possible that it's black plastic, in which case I just have a $15 mundane black plastic 302 project. Also, it looks like the line cord is cloth. Most of these sets that have a custom paint job have either black cords or matching vinyl cords, but these appear to be woven. The handset cord even has really wide coils in it, something you don't see in later vinyl cords from the '60s and '70s.

If these cords are cloth ivory, worst case scenario is that I have a pair of decent cords for my 1953 ivory 302, and a fixer-upper black 302 with repro brown cords that are currently on the '53 ivory.
Christian Petterson