News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE40 not ringing

Started by cwcwood, March 05, 2013, 09:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwcwood

I have read the posts on ringers and still can't get my AE40 to ring.  I was hoping some pics would shed some light on my problem.  I have a new 4-wire RJ11 plug that I wired in.  I have dial tone with the two wires (red and green).  I doesn't matter what I do with the yellow and black, I can't get a ring.  The clapper moves freely so I am inclined to think I don't have the party ringer.

cwcwood

Here is another pic.

cwcwood

Pic #3

cwcwood

Another non related issue is breaking dial tone or not breaking dial tone.  When I bought the phone, the dial was very stiff and didn't always want to return.  I lubed it with some household oil and continued dialing.  Now it moves very freely.  I did not manipulate any of the springs or other working parts.  Only oiled the gears and spinning things.  Like I said, I have dial tone and when I dial, 90% of the time it breaks DT, sometimes not.  Also, sometimes I get a DT after I have dialed 4 numbers.  If I can ever complete dialing a full 10 digit number, it is the wrong number.  I wonder if I got oil on some of the metal on metal contacts.

wds

try removing the bias spring from the ringer - if it's too tight it will prevent it from ringing.  Also, when i can't get one to ring I remove the ringer from the circuit and test it using a different capacitor.  Helps trouble shoot the real problem.
Dave

rdelius

Try moving the wire that is under the G terminal to the same one as that has the green line wire
robby

stub

cwcwood ,
                 You have a straight line ringer . I would try the wire move that Robby suggested first and if it didn't ring then go and remove the connections to the ringer and test it out of circuit like wds suggested.  Here's a pic. Use a 1. mfd  capacitor @ 250 V  ( Radio Shack) and hook it up like pic. This will bypass your capacitor in the phone . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

cwcwood ,
              Is there anything hooked to #4 and #5 ( where screw drivers are ) in your phone? Can you post a pic of your wiring diagram ( folded over piece of paper on base by ringer) . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

cwcwood

Stub,

There are no screws attached and no wires.

cwcwood

Stub,

Sorry abut the upside down pic.

Here is one of the posts with no wires attached.
cwcwood

stub

cwcwood ,
              Here you go. Do the wire move, G to L 2 , that Robby stated. Should ring if capacitor and ringer are good.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

cwcwood

I tried so many different wiring combinations and nothing worked.  After seeing the two replies telling me to switch the ground wire to the L2 I gave it another try.  Perfect!  Now the diagram makes sense.  It even says to do this for a non grounded phone.  I just had no context to work with.  Thank you all for the help.

Stub, I guess I shouldn't have oiled the spinning thing because once I cleaned it, it dials perfectly.  I really picked up a find on ebay.  This thing works great and all I had to do was oil some gears and post to get it working.  A little polish and it will be perfect.

First time to join a forum.  It took less than 48 hours to fix my problem.  thanks again.

cwcwood

poplar1

Just to clarify, the "GR" wire that you moved is "GReen" and the terminal you moved it from is "G" (Ground).

By "metallic" they mean that the ringing circuit is connected across the two line wires. Party lines often connected half the ringers to one side of the line and ground, and the other half of the ringers to the other side of the line and ground. So for modern lines, you don't need to connect anything to G.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

cwcwood ,
              Great !! Thanks for posting the diagram!! The only diagram I have is for a Canadian AE 40 and term 4 and 5 are used and in yours ( USA ) they are not.  Thanks , stub
Kenneth Stubblefield