"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New member here. Need help with ITT Kellogg 554

Started by hudsoncustom, January 22, 2011, 12:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudsoncustom

Good morning!

I'm glad I found this forum, and hope some of you can help me.

My name is Keith, and I picked up a black ITT Kellogg 554 from a local antique store here recently, and hope to install it in my home.

I've been reviewing the forum here for a day or so, and doing some searches on how to wire these phones, but I figure my best shot at getting it right is to add some photos.

Here's the phone with the cover off:

The issue I am having with the phone is that it won't ring.  I get a dial tone just fine, and I can make a call on it just fine, but the phone won't ring correctly.  

When I call the line, the phone ringer will make a single "ding" that is very faint.  I'm wondering if the ringer is not hooked up correctly?

Here's how the phone is currently wired:

Here's the ringer (it looks a bit different than the one's I've seen in photos here) it is marked 10-50-113:

I also note that the ringer is wired with the red wire to the L2 terminal, and the black wire connects to a P8292ZN69 capacitor (400 VDCW .35 MFD whatever those mean) which I belive the frame is screwed down to the K terminal (?), with the black wire out of the capacitor to the G or L1 terminal.

I haven't messed with the ringer or removed the magnets or coil, and none of the screw heads on the ringer appear to have been mangled with a screwdriver.

Can you guys give me any idea if the phone is wired correctly, and what I need to go to get this beauty to ring?

Thanks,
Keith Brown

wds

It's a frequency ringer.  Just replace it with a SL ringer and your good to go.
Dave

hudsoncustom

Thanks for the reply wds2185. 

I'll admit, I don't know anything about these phones or types of ringers.

Where would one pick up an SL ringer?

wds

Personally, I would buy a Western Electric 500 and use that ringer.  You can buy 500's all day long on Ebay for $5.  Just make sure you get one that rings, then you have a bunch of parts to use for future acquisitions.  I recently bought a Kellogg DK500 (banjo) that the seller swore would ring.  When I got it, of course it had a 66hz ringer which means it probably hasn't rung since it came off the factory floor.  A simple switch with an older 500 and now I have a great phone on display that works. 
Dave

Dennis Markham

Welcome Keith.

The "frequency ringer" was made to be used on party lines.  It's not going to work on today's line.  In order it to work it has to be a "straight line" ringer or one about 20Hz.

The first place I always send people is to Steve Hilsz out in Az.  He has lot of parts and is very friendly and very reasonable.  You can shoot him an e-mail at jydsk@tds.net.  Tell him we sent you.  You want a C4A ringer for your Model 554.  The same ringer will fit into that model of Kellogg, Stromberg Carlson, Western Electric, IT&T........

When you get it, connect your wires according to this diagram:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2767.0

Yours currently looks close but you can get rid of that big capacitor, and that jumper that appears to be going from the G terminal to L1.

Note the terminal designations on the side of your network.  They should match the diagram I referenced above.

~Dennis

hudsoncustom

Dave and Dennis, thanks so much for the quick reply.

I'll shoot Steve an email today.  I spent about 3 hours last night trying to get the phone to ring, and I got my answer here in about 15 minutes! ha ha!

wds

Here's a picture of my frequency ringer and the finished and polished DK500.  Good luck with your project!
Dave

Phoniac

hudsoncustom, If'en you still need a ringer I have a C4A I'll  just send ya. Just PM me your address.

hudsoncustom

Thanks to everyone who responded, and thanks especially to Phoniac who sent me the ringer I needed.

I've got the phone up and working, and it sounds perfect!

Now to look for another...ha ha!