News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bipolar Phone lines

Started by Babybearjs, May 11, 2018, 12:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

here a interesting question..... can a telephone line be bipolar?
John

twocvbloke

Well, given some phonecalls can be filled with tears of sadness, followed by calls which are of utter elation and joy, I guess so...  ;D

Haf

I guess your line is then called a borderline  ;D

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

On my old exchange, the polarity switches when the phone is off hook.

May that be what you think about?

dsk

Babybearjs

On my system, I cleaned up the wiring, and replaced a 212 and a 207KTU. rewired it EXACTLY like I had it and then started running in to polarity issues... I finally got the bugs worked out of the system, but BOY! how frustrating! what I though was right, was wrong and had to correct it only to lead to another problem.... now my "R" relay on the first line of my 212 won't lockup when rung.... lines 2 and 3 work fine, but 1 is giving me fits! and idea of what to look for?
John

RB

Hi
Don't know what a 212 is, but if it works like an old cord board, some of those relays had to have correct polarity fed to them.
if not, result was what you are seeing.
I question your overhaul, with respect.
I have found also, that when you rewire things, and begin to notice problems that were not there before,
indicates that you may have talked yourself out of doin it right, due to odd issues comming up.
I have heard of a couple phones here that have polarity problems. don't know why.
Most phones should work either way. you may have been duped by one of those EXCEPTIONS, and turned the wrong way???
just a guess, but I would look back at the original configuration, and see if any lights come on?
good luck.