News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How Much Do You Think This Phone Will Sell For??

Started by Doug Rose, August 27, 2016, 08:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I never won, but miss seeing the phones and the commentary.  Is this because of the "flying under the radar" comments that we don't do these contests anymore? Kind of silly as with everyone caring a tablet with them and the influx of collectors.....nothing flies under the radar, in my humble opinion.....How about we reconsider?....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 27, 2016, 08:21:34 PM
I never won, but miss seeing the phones and the commentary.  Is this because of the "flying under the radar" comments that we don't do these contests anymore? Kind of silly as with everyone caring a tablet with them and the influx of collectors.....nothing flies under the radar, in my humble opinion.....How about we reconsider?....Doug

Well, Doug, yes, I've been a bit gun shy about doing another contest but I haven't had to make that decision yet becasue I haven't seen a phone worthy of an Auction Contest on eBay for a good week now.

Granted, I don't watch eBay all of the time and usually only go through the last 200 to 400 phones if I haven't looked for a contest subject in a while. When I look, say daily, I usually stop looking when I recognize phones I've seen during my last search.

My subjective rules for a contest subject is a phone that was made prior to the Bell System split (ca 1980), is unique or rare in one way or another, is one that is of value, it is started relatively low to its value, it does not have a reserve, it does not have a BIN and it has to be at least a 5 day auction.

Lot of nice phones out there with BINs out there but that's about it, the high end is determined.

If anyone see a good subject for a contest, they can send me the link in a PM.

Others can post their opinions which will be helpful. What say other members?

tallguy58

What? Someone got upset about auction contests?
Cheers........Bill

WEBellSystemChristian

There are several phones that aren't clearly verified in the title and/or description, and unless there that phone is getting a lot of attention already, I believe those should be left alone for the most part.

Many auctions aren't clear about the phone, but the pictures say it all. Sometimes within the next day or so, the price is driven up fairly high by bidders, or have a couple bids and numerous watchers, which is what we often get as contests.

The without-a-doubt contests are those phones being sold by a knowledgeable collector, and can't possibly fly under the radar. With phones in listings like that, it's just about impossible to end up with a low end price, contest or not.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

I think the discussion of the auctions has been taken into an area where, I for one never intended. The monthly auction contest is Good. What I object to is posting comments on every auction on eBay, or sale on Craig's list.
"Wow did you see this sleeper ?", Yes I did thank you, now so does everyone else. If you have a question about an item for sale, that's OK,But don't just search for items so you can post about them.
I fully support the auction continuation.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

I see no problem with Auction Contests, and if anything, sometimes prevents more bids (everyone gets the idea that everyone else will start bidding on that item now that it's publicly known, so everyone decides not to bid! ::) ).

If I see an active auction and I know someone who would be interested, I send that member a PM. Sometimes it works out great, because that member ends up being the only bidder, and proudly restores and displays the phone, instead of the seller giving up and trashing it.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

John....here is a beauty....only 2 + days left....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191950757637?
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 28, 2016, 02:44:52 PM
John....here is a beauty....

Doug,

Yes, it is, but I think I will wait for the relist starting at what, say $99.95?

But, then, there are those who like blue phones so it might go for the listed starting amount with one bid at the end.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Doug Rose

Jorge....welcome back, your input has been missed.

John....I disagree, I feel it will go and not be relisted. If you decide on a contest, put me in for $2875.....Doug
Kidphone

Kenton K

Even, it does sell with multiple bids, the guess range is truncated at $2000 and above. Also, there is no guarantee it will sell. Unlike most auction contests where there is always a winner (unless somebody does some sneaky business). Thats just my opinion. Its more fun when it starts low.

KK

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 28, 2016, 09:01:29 PM
John....I disagree, I feel it will go and not be relisted. If you decide on a contest, put me in for $2875.....Doug

Well, a couple of things with that listing would not work with my criteria as stated above

1) any phone that was made prior to the Bell System split (ca 1980),
2) is unique or rare in one way or another,
3) is one that is of value,
4) it is started relatively low to its value (provides a final sale price range that allows many guesses)
5) it does not have a reserve,
6) it does not have a BIN or Make an Offer
7) and it has to be at least a 5 day auction (and there must be at least 3 full days left leaving 2 full days for guessing)

These are all or nothing, that is, all 7 points must be met to have a contest.

This blue 302 started way to high to get a wide guess range and seems to have been a 3 day auction with less than 3 days left when spotted. If the seller would have put a $2,200 reserve on this phone and started it at $9.99, it could have been a special auction contest - that would have worked.

All I know right now is that if this phone does sell, the seller will be one happy eBayer. And you are right, Doug, it may get snipped up by anyone who really wants the phone. Time will tell. No bids as of this post.

Dan/Panther

Two things jump out at me, The inside of the receiver appears to have water damage, and so does the otherwise pristine bottom. Such a shame.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

The so called "rule" about not posting "sleepers" is no rule at all, more a courtesy to people who may be bidding or watching the sleeper item.  I do not usually post links to "sleeper" items unless they are sold or have a lot of activity, because I don't want the person who may be watching that item get annoyed with me when they are priced out as a result.

So anyone who finds some under-priced old & interesting Western Electric candlestick/wooden items feel free to send me a PM.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

I see nothing wrong with the contests.  As far as any possible influence of the final priceis concerned, the sniping services have far more influence in the final price and adds an element of chance as opposed to skill in the final outcome.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke