News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Christmas Gift Phones

Started by McHeath, December 25, 2009, 10:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Here is the other circuit board inside.  At first I thought the handset attached here but now it's clear that it transfers signal to the ringer.  You can also see the handset cord hold down point.  Nothing as fancy as a crip on the cord, it's just screwed down under a washer.  

Also I'm reposting an earlier shot to draw your attention to the thickness of the shell.  It's pretty hefty, and the fit of the parts is all well done.  The baseplate fits real tightly to the shell, the dial and handset are solid feeling and the overall presentation of the phone is of a good solid device.  

McHeath

So, if someone was looking for the vintage look of an early 500 and did not want to be bothered with pulse dialing, or dealing with an "old" item, this could be the ticket.  I could see this filling a niche for folks who want that vintage look but also like to have redial and touch tone abilities.

It's a nice phone, and not a cheap one either as they are rather pricy.  It's full of lead, wires, circuit boards, a real brass bell ringer, and a good deal of hot glue.  All that costs moola.

If it will last is another question.  That network board does not inspire confidence, and how the finish of the plastics will wear is unknown.  Guess I will have to check back here with it in oh, say 55 years.

bwanna

thx for the in depth study, heath. meet you here in 55years for the durability update ;)
donna

AET

I will be 74.
- Tom

McHeath

I'll be 174, give or take.   :)

bwanna

shup up, tom  :P why ya always gotta be throwin that age thing into our faces  >:(
donna

AET

Not tryinng to.  Just gotta enjoy being young while I still am!
- Tom

HobieSport

I enjoy Tom's youth and enthusiasm and his appreciation of good vintage stuff. :)
Heath; you're 174 years old? Wow, the years have treated you well. ;)
-Matt

bwanna

no no, hobie....  heath will be 174 in 55 years. he is only 119 now :o
donna

AET

- Tom

Tonyrotary

Interesting phone that Crosley. Thanks for the in-depth review. I think I still prefer the originals though.

McHeath

Yeah me too.  While the Crosley is a fun deal, who'd a thunk that they'd be making touch tone replicas of Western Electric 500s in China in the early 21st century, it pales compared to the Real McCoy.  The Crosley is well made, for a current market consumer phone, but my confidence in it lasting for decades is very low, other than as a paperweight.  That cheap network board does not look up to the challenge.

HobieSport

I'm personally fine with the Crosley phones, just that they are much more electronic than the original more mechanical phones.

I am done speaking my amazing wisdom.

-Matt

Tonyrotary

You know years ago, I did have soft spot for those old telephones, but the ember didn't catch fire till a little later. But at the time I really considered getting a few of the Crosley phones for nostalgia. I didn't know till later you could buy the originals off the internet. I wish I knew earlier.

HobieSport

Quote from: Tonyrotary
...at the time I really considered getting a few of the Crosley phones for nostalgia. I didn't know till later you could buy the originals off the internet. I wish I knew earlier.

And the good old originals are built like tanks, and are often less expensive that the Crosleys. :)
-Matt