Insanity

Started by Doug Rose, January 11, 2016, 07:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

It's...well.....uhh.....

Uhh, yeah; insanity.  :o

It sure is a beautiful phone, but I guess it would realistically be worth about $250 tops.

I have two Green 500s with Gray cords (granted, neither is as early or has a straight cord), but I paid about $50 total for both of them, in the same night! I'd say that color is the most often found with Gray cords, so it's absolutely NOT worth that price!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Buzby

I saw that while it was still active, and wondered what the deal was with it.

Ktownphoneco

I with Christian on this one.      I'm sure the seller is still doing a "jig" on kitchen floor, but whatever possessed a buyer to pay that kind of money for that set, is beyond me.      Plus, in reality, there was another potential buyer who bid the thing up to $888.88, only to be outbid by the ultimate winner.     I think I have a black Western 500 around here, and a can of green spray paint.   

Jeff

Buzby

Just wondering....I think the seller said they were a collector. Are they a member here?

HarrySmith

Yeah, that is insane! But, that's eBay, 2 guys want the same thing and don't stop bidding until they get it. Let's see if it gets relisted after the seller does not get paid! I'm sure a bunch will pop up now with totally absurd BIN.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Quote from: Buzby on January 11, 2016, 08:38:00 PM
Just wondering....I think the seller said they were a collector. Are they a member here?

I don't think he is a member here but he is on the lists.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

That price is certainly crazy.  The "e**e" buyer looks familiar to me, but I do not remember who he is.  I believe that the seller is located about 6 miles from me, but I do not know him.

Larry

JimHyak

The seller has/had a number of WE500s for sale including a straight brown cord mahogany and an Oxford gray, both brought big bucks.
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

Babybearjs

just plain stupid if you ask me.... these people don't do any pricing research, don't look at any phone related websites and think they have gold in their hands.... thanks to cell phones, these units are dropping in price and if you look at the manufacturing numbers...... are too many to count.... My AE 50 is only worth $200.00, if even that.... and they want that for a 500......just stupid....
John

Doug Rose

I guess it's time to put mine on eBay. I am not looking for the big kill, half would be fine. " Serious Bidders Only." I do love when auctions carry this tag....Doug
Kidphone

RotarDad

I do agree that the price seems very high, but that is about the nicest early Moss Green 500 I've seen.  It looks like if might be close to NOS condition.  The combination of gray straight cord, early '54 date and super nice condition do warrant a higher price.  The straight cord M-Brown this seller had went very high as well, again due (imho) to the cord and the condition.  You see many more M-Blue 500s on Ebay than either of these (with straight cord), so there aren't many opportunities to bid on one. Like Harry said, if two collectors really want something.......
Paul

19and41

Mighty interesting.  I had never seen a 500 with a straight handset cord.  At prices like that, these screenshots will be my only opportunity.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

A club member posted on the lists that he will be bringing his early green 500 with straight gray cord to the Maitland Florida show at the end of the month. Could be your chance to get one for well under $1,000.00!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

Quote from: 19and41 on January 12, 2016, 02:02:56 PM
Mighty interesting.  I had never seen a 500 with a straight handset cord.  At prices like that, these screenshots will be my only opportunity.
I'll give you one for free, lol.   (a screenshot)

WECo 500D-57  November 1955

I don't think I ever posted it anywhere.