"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Elcotel downgrade?

Started by Pondus, May 25, 2015, 06:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pondus

Hi everybody!

I've just received my first American payphone. I have 3 other Norwegian payphones, but I've always wanted some kind of American payphone.

I bought this NIB Elcotel series 5 of eBay with 1 extra battery.
As it turns out, both batteries are dead and do not hold a charge anymore so the phone (cocot) don't work.
I've tested the phone by hooking up external power, but the rate tables (and possible other programming) is gone or newer programmed in the first place.
So I get the dialtone, but can't call anywhere. I only get the "wrong/invalid number" or "try again".

So.... What to do...

I don't want to just hang the phone just to look pretty and collect dust. I want it to work and be able to collect coins as well.

This is where you guys come in. I'm considering two options;

1. Buy a new battery and get the phone programmed.
2. Downgrade the phone to a dumb phone and get/make a controller for it to accept coins.

What would YOU do?

A fact worth mentioning is that i have to get a controller for my other phones anyway, so I'm not saving myselves any trouble there anyways. But I have to swap out the mainboard (of course)

The reason I'm considering NOT to program the phone is;

1. I'm afraid the people that does the programming won't do it to Norway.

And 2. maybe the Norwegian phone numbers will cause problems with the rate tables due to the different lenghts. We have 8 digits regular phone numbers, some 5 digits "service" numbers and a few 3 digits special numbers (emergency numbers for example: 110, 112, 113)

Any thoughts?

rdelius

I have downgraded many cocots with older dumb AE or WE parts to make them work.At the time, I could get the parts cheeply

dsk

Hi, and welcome!
It is good to have other Norwegian members here!

A German member tried to to program for Germany, it did not work out well.

I don't know your phone, but I guess the validator is mechanical. if you adjust the thickness sensitivity of the quarter with putting in a peace of paper from a milk box, it will probably accept the Norwegian 10 kr coin. and the Norwegian 1 kr coin is pretty close to the nickle so it will probably accept that.

If someone here has whats needed to change it to something like my AE12B it may be working pretty well, if not..

Then we may make a simple post pay phone: Call, and put in a coin when party answers, the coin triggs a function to connect the transmitter to the circuit. Answer may be reverse polarity, or timer.  If you want to collect more coins during the time running, you just short the line for a second each xx seconds, then a new coin is required to reconnect transmitter.

If you live not to far from the center of the world: Hakadal, I may try to help you on site.

dsk

Pondus

It's a mechanical validator all right. But so far I don't think I'm going to change it.
It's part of the charm to use American coins  :)

And regarding the main board, I think I'm going to swap it. Not only should it be more "user friendly" for me if I want to change something, but if the power runs out I don't have to reprogram it.

What main board should I buy? Is there any board that is just plug and play with no extra harnesses or anything else?

I have bought this model by the way;
https://www.payphone.com/Elcotel-Series-5.html

And DSK; I live in Eidsvoll

Pondus

Oh and by the way, is it possible to program this phone by the keypad and does anybody have a programming manual in that case?

G-Man

The company that sold distributor of your payphone has an international division and should be able to help you program it. If you do not want a payphone with an intelligent board, then ask for one equipped for a standard "coin-line."

Countries where we have sold public phones:

Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Bermuda, U.S. & British Virgin Islands, South Africa, Morocco, Malta, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Ireland, England, Netherlands, Sweden, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Malaysia, Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, Palau, Guam, Greece, Canada

Pondus

Thanks for replying.  :)

But I'm thinking of the rates them selves. Is it possible to program these via the keypad or by changing the programming in the eprom or something like that?

And to clarify: I bought the phone of eBay, so I don't have a distributor to contact.

G-Man

Quote from: Pondus on May 26, 2015, 04:28:54 AM
Thanks for replying.  :)

But I'm thinking of the rates them selves. Is it possible to program these via the keypad or by changing the programming in the eprom or something like that?

And to clarify: I bought the phone of eBay, so I don't have a distributor to contact.

The programming information available pertains only to the North American Numbering Plan. As I suggested, contact the distributor's international division for further programming options.

According to the list that I pasted in my previous post, according to their website, these telephones are being used in a number of European countries, including Sweden so it would appear that proms could be readily replaced with country specific numbering plans but you need to contact them directly in order to confirm this is indeed the case.

Otherwise, ask them about a board to allow its use as a "dumb" payphone.

Pondus

Thanks G-man.

Can't find the site you are referring to that listed all those contries you quoted.
All I can find are American sites and "International" sites in Spanish.

G-Man

The name of the distributor and web address is on the front cover of the manual that I provided a link to. Page two also provides the following contact information for technical problems. 

G-TEL Enterprises, Inc. offers technical support via telephone and Internet only. Before trying to contact G-TELTechnical Support, we strongly advise that you read the portion of the manual related to your support needs so that a technician will be able to better assist you. You can reach G-TEL Technical Support via e-mail at support@payphone.com or by phone at 1-800-884-4835.

If the testimonials are any indication they are willing to assist hobbyist: 

Below are testimonials from satisfied customers.

"I would like to express my thanks to one of your talented and dedicated staff, Alfonso. Over the past 2 weeks or so and several e-mails and phone calls that included the obstacles of time, schedules, and hardware and software challenges, Alfonso was able to assist me in salvaging the Protel 7000 circuit board in a recent garage sale acquisition that allowed me to take the various parts of a payphone and res-erect it into a delightful conversation piece in my game room that can now receive and place phone calls over my land line.Alfonso was patient, clear in instruction, and ultimately able to help me with the problems that I was having reprogramming the circuit board in the payphone I recently acquired.While it cost $25 it was well worth it.Thank you Alfonso and may all of you at "payphone.com" have a wonderful holiday season.Respectfully,
-Brad Howland "

"Hi Teresa! I am soooo sorry for not thanking you right away: I appreciate all that you have done so much! My Aunt and Uncle were thrilled and they have not had any problems with the scanner: I think you went above and beyond with your outstanding service, and I am not sure if I ever left you feedback? I'm a bit embarrassed, as I forgot where it was from when I originally bought it? I thought it was from Amazon? Anyhow, thank you again, you are the best. Best Regards,
- Nancy Sterling "

"Good morning Teresa,
Thank you for the information. It is a pleasure dealing with someone who gives such good service to their customers. - Joan "

"Hi Teresa,
I don't know if I ever thanked you, but thank you for all of your help! It has been a blessing to be able to talk to my mom (an Alzheimer's patient) since I live far away. The simplicity of the phone is perfect for her, and in her situation, it's great not to have any numbers for her to do random dialing.

We were so happy to find a basic phone like this for an elderly person. Your products really met a need.

Thanks so much!
Sheila

Hi Teresa,
I just spoke with the technician Alfonso and he provided me with some good information, I will attempt to work through this problem with him. Thank you for your prompt reply.....Great customer service from both of you!

Have a Happy New Year!
Paul

Hi Teresa,
Thank you so much for researching this for me, you went way beyond good customer service. I really appreciate it.

We found the phone, way in the back of the top shelf in our storage room. It is up and working and our inspector was very impressed with the phone and box.
Thank you again, Have a great day! Gail - Rustic Lakes Campgrounds

G-Man

Also:
Payphone.com is the leading source for a wide variety of products including Pay Phones, Armored Courtesy Phones, Inmate Phones, Emergency Phones, and hundreds of related parts and accessories. Our company, G-TEL Enterprises, Inc., has been in the public telecommunications business for over 20 years and has customers in over 20 countries.
Toll Free- Phone: 800-884-4835
International- Phone: 281-550-5592

Pondus

Would you look at that!

I'm surely going to try them.
Thank you so much G-Man :)

Pondus

After sending 5 different emails to support@payphone.com, I have not received a single answer from them.

Is this company up and running at all?

Anyway. Does anyone here have a main board that will work in my phone that I can buy?
I am thinking of an CO line board

G-Man

Quote from: Pondus on August 12, 2015, 05:26:36 AM
After sending 5 different emails to support@payphone.com, I have not received a single answer from them.

Is this company up and running at all?

Anyway. Does anyone here have a main board that will work in my phone that I can buy?
I am thinking of an CO line board

Using the old-fashioned method, just now, I called their toll-free (800) number.
The call was promptly answered and I was quickly transferred to technical support.
I asked if they were still supporting series-5 payphones and a friendly voice assured me they do.