News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE233QF, what's missing?

Started by Argee, June 10, 2017, 05:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argee

Picked this up today.  I sold my gutted AE 3 slot a few months ago, been on the lookout for a better replacement. 
I can tell it's missing a few parts and has been modified to work.  Could someone with a more practiced eye give me a rundown on what's been done to it?  How hard would it be to find the missing parts, since this isn't the most common model?

Alex G. Bell

I think it was truly 233 rather than a 223 as you stated because I see the top of what appears to be a cast coin hopper behind the network.  A 223 used a sheet metal hopper and 2-coil coin relay. 

In either case, in addition to locks and a vault door it's missing the terminal strip for the handset cord leads to terminate which mounts to the 2 rectangular bosses at the top, and the single coil coin relay.

Since the network is blocking view of the hopper there's no way to tell what was done to that.  The coin relay normally mounts on 2 arms which are part of the casting.  If they were cut off to make space for the network you will need a hopper too. 

Either way, usually coin trap and trap hinge pin which hold the coins in escrow until the coin relay operates, may be missing.  Often they are removed and vane set one way or the other so deposits fall through to the coin return or vault. 

Look for BSPs in the TCI library.  There are General Information or Maintenance BSPs on coin phones which cover the entire family of 3 slots and show lots of photos of the internal parts I mentioned.  You should also find 223G and 233G BSPs there which may contain photos.

The "QF" means it deviates in some way from the WECo 223G or 233G version.  One obvious difference is the non-"Daisy Petal" number plate on the dial.  That might be the only difference other than being set up for Canadian rather than US coinage.  If it conformed in all respects except the coinage it should have been coded as 223H or 233H.

Argee

You are right, it's marked 233, typo on my part.  I've edited the title.  I'll take out the network and get another picture.

RotarDad

Alex said it all in term of needed parts.  You did find a nice one with good paint, no corrosion, and a nice porcelain dial surround.  For these later 3-slots, the needed parts are not too hard to find.  Good project!
Paul