News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Space Saver - Dial and screw size - Wiring?

Started by Lewes2, February 09, 2015, 04:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

Hi All -

I managed to pick up a space saver 43A/G1 which arrived last Friday.  My first one.  These are rather fun since they have more mechanical moving parts although I can see repainting it is going to be a major challenge! (all those parts on the dial mount)

This phone has a 5H dial with a date stamp of I-42.  However the governor is stamped 56L so I assume it was rebuilt then.

OK, first question, although it's a 5H dial, it has an open center clear finger plate - But as I twist it around past nine to remove it, there is no tiny hole in which to stick the paper clip or other tool.  Nothing.  (see photos)  I am beginning to think this finger plate is simply jammed on but thought I would check here first.  Any suggestions for removing it?

Second question - the rear dial cover has two screw holes but I am missing the lower screw which holds the cover on.  It goes all the way through to I believe the dial itself.  I assume this is the same screw size as say used with a 5H dial in a 302 , only longer.  Is this correct?  Anyone know the exact size of this screw?  (yellow circle in the photo)

I plan to use a 685A subset - to go along with the G handset.  I think I read the wiring for connecting this dial and phone with the subset is identical or very similar to connecting a 202 with a 685A subset using a 5-conductor cord.  True? 

As usual, thanks for your help!

Chuck

poplar1

Screw is a 4-36 same length as the other two. Wires the same as a 202 to a 685A with 5 conductors. You have to move the black handset wire to B terminal in the 211 telephone.

This must be the 2nd type finger wheel for 5H, c. 1947-1952.  If you look on the left side of the dial, between the finger wheel and the number plate, you'll see a small metal tab. You can use a screwdriver or other flat object parallel to the number plate to engage the tab and slide it. This will disengage the finger wheel from the finger wheel clamp.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

From quick perusal of BSPs, it seems the G1A handset was first used around 1957 on the 211J-3 (manual) and 211L-3 (dial) with a G6 handset mounting, not the G1.

poplar1

For your finger wheel, refer to paragraphs 13.01 (Removal of P-372629 Finger Wheel) through 13.03 (6) (Installation of P-335580 Finger Wheel Assembly) and Figures 10 and 11 in BSP Section 34.103, Issue 1, Aug. 1954 in TCI Library:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_view/4751-c34-103-i1-aug54-station-dials-2-4-5-6-7-types-maintenance

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/4751-c34-103-i1-aug54-station-dials-2-4-5-6-7-types-maintenance

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tallguy58

What's the purpose of the buffer spring on #5 dials?
Cheers........Bill

Lewes2

Thanks all for the info.

The hook switch assembly is also dated 1942, similar to the dial.  However it does have the chrome hook switch which I read is the later model.  I've been using this document as a reference which is pretty complete. 

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/component/docman/doc_download/2754-502-301-101-i1-reference-211-type-hand-telephone-sets-tl?Itemid=2

The handset which came with the phone has endured a hard life - it's a G model but no number - heavy gouges, scratches, etc. 

David, I finally see the small tab under the finger wheel but it's a stubborn guy and when pressed, is not releasing the wheel.  I'll have a more series go at it when I have more time. 

Chuck

Lewes2

Like some of the other phones I have purchased, I have my doubts that the wiring is correct.  I usually disconnect everything and start fresh after cleaning/painting using wiring diagrams from this forum. 

In this case, the unused W terminal had the white wire from the handset which I had already disconnected.  I assume in your photo that the white wire on the W terminal is going to the handset? 

Chuck