News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE500 dial removal?

Started by PSGreg, January 14, 2009, 02:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSGreg

I'm sure this is pretty elementary but I'm having trouble removing the dial from one of my 500's.  This dial has no card so I can clearly see the spring clip.  I've pushed the spring clip down and tried to pull the dial off but it's so secure I'm certain it will break if I pull any harder.
   What am I missing?
Thanks,
              Greg

benhutcherson

Are you continuing to turn the dial after pressing the spring clip? The wheel will turn another small fraction of a turn, and should then lift right off.

Assuming this is what you're doing-it's been my experience that they're often fairly tight. The key is to be gentle but firm, and it should come loose. I have yet to break one.

PSGreg

Hi Ben,
                   No, I wasn't aware I was supposed to turn the dial as well when pulling it.  I'll try again.
Thanks,
             Greg

PSGreg

whadya know?
It popped right off!  :D
Thanks Ben

Tony V

I know this maybe a stupid question but which way do you turn the dial to remove? Clockwise or Counter clockwise? I know about taking a pin and pushing in through the little hole on the dial. I've tried to remove a couple but never had any success. I was afraid to twist too hard in fear of breaking the dial or assembly.
-Tony

benhutcherson

Tony,
To remove a fingerwheel, you first turn the dial all the way clockwise. You then push the pin in, and turn it further counterclockwise.

To reinstall, drop the fingerwheel in place(it sort of settles down in-you'll know when it's right), then turn it a small amount counter clockwise until it clicks.

Dan

Putting the dial back on after removal was hard for me. Read these directions and it's easy.

http://www.vintageswank.com/ttnumbercards.html
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Here is another site that has photos.  I like to refer people here but your referenced site accomplishes the same goal.

http://www.porticus.org/bell/telephones-technical_dials-rotary.html

Now don't take this as criticism but you will find that it's a good idea to try and refer to the finger wheel as the finger wheel and not a "dial" as it will become confusing when talking about a dial (mechanism).  It's a common thing.  I like to add the word "mechanism" when I e-mail a seller on eBay and ask if they'll look on the back of the "dial mechanism" for a date, model, etc.  Otherwise they try and remove the finger wheel to look at the back of it for the information.

metdial

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 14, 2009, 08:14:47 PM
Now don't take this as criticism but you will find that it's a good idea to try and refer to the finger wheel as the finger wheel and not a "dial" as it will become confusing when talking about a dial (mechanism). 

Does this mean I'm gonna have to change my user ID to "metfingerwheel" ?

Let me know what ya think guys.   :)

Tom

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright