"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Low volume level

Started by PSGreg, January 17, 2009, 03:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSGreg

Hi Guys,
                     Is there a way to correct the volume level at the earpiece on a WE500?  I have one that just seems difficult to hear like it is turned down low(if it had a volume control, which it does not).

Here's what I've done;
The earpiece, dated 10-17-67, has a small yellow resistor attached across the terminals.  It has several numbers printed on it which I can post if they mean anything to anyone here.  I removed the resistor and it made no difference.

I replaced the  earpiece with one from another WE500 dated 1-16-67, without the resistor, and it seems to work perfectly now.

Questions:

Are there different earpieces for these 500's during the same era? 

What is the function of the resistor?

Do I need it or am I fine as is?

Could I simply have had a malfunctioning earpiece (plugged with 42 years of ear cheese)?

Thanks again,
                        Greg

Dan/Panther

I asked that same question awhile back, and apparently there is not way other than a G-6 handset to correct that problem.
My guess on the resistor, and only a guess, is that they have a standard resistance tolerance for new receiver modules, and they add the resistor to meet that tolerance. My guess is not all modules have the same value resistor. I've never checked. That way they maintain a consistant volumre level.
Any takes on my theory ???
Or anyone have the real 411.....

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Greg is the plastic covering over the holes in the piece punctured? Mine was,I replaced it and the sound is great. Maybe that could be it for you?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

TIPandRING

Well, if WE is like AE, it's not a resistor. It's a varistor that provides "clamping" against voltage spikes (google it). It would be to prevent sharp spikes that would translate into unpleasant clicks or jumps in volume. It may have gone bad (providing a leakage path and shunting power meant for the receiver capsule), but in all likelyhood, the capsule could be kapoot.

Do you have another WE receiver element to try in your phone?????

PSGreg

TandR,
                   I don't know what the "receiver element" is.
G.

Konrad

Quote from: PSGreg on January 18, 2009, 02:28:06 AM
TandR,
                   I don't know what the "receiver element" is.
G.

I non phone speak it's the baby speaker inside the handset that you put against your ear. On a '67 I think it just falls out when you unscrew the cover from the handset.  If you don't have another handy to swap try cleaning the contacts.

Dennis Markham

Also, SOMETIMES low volume can be corrected by cleaning dial contacts.  It's worth a try but no guarantee.  I have been able to improve the receiver audo volume by cleaning dial contacts with alcohol and a Q-tip.

BDM

Yes, eliminate that and you'll have unpleasant on/off hook clicks. What Dennis stated is very important. One of my W.E. 5302 sets gave me fits with loss of volume issues until I finally found the offending contact leaf. Forget the fact I had cleaned it several times, drove me nuts :P But, in all likely hood, you have a bad receiver/speaker/module/ear piece/sound reproducer.......lol.....All the same ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

PSGreg

Ahh, got it.

If you read my full post at the beginning of this thread I stated that I did replace the receiver element with another from the same era and the problem went away.

What I was looking for was answers to the 4 questions I posted.

Thanks,
             Greg