News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Testing Phone cords with a Multimeter?

Started by Sargeguy, January 25, 2009, 06:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I bought a bunch of old handset cords in an auction a while back.  Some are perfect and some are junk.  Is there a way to test them with a multimeter before hooking them up to a phone???  If so, how?  Keep in mind I am electrically challenged.  Thanks
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TIPandRING

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 25, 2009, 06:38:52 PM
I bought a bunch of old handset cords in an auction a while back.  Some are perfect and some are junk.  Is there a way to test them with a multimeter before hooking them up to a phone???  If so, how?  Keep in mind I am electrically challenged.  Thanks

Use the OHMS setting on the multimeter. If this is a digital unit, short the test leads together, you should have close to 0.00 ohms (dead short). If this is analog, the meter movement should swing to zero (you may have to "zero" it out with the thumb wheel adjust).

Spread all of the conductors apart at the ends of the cord...put the red test lead on one wire, then move the other black test lead to all of the other wires except the same color conductor your red test lead is on . There should be NO resistance, in other words an "open". If there is zero ohms, theres a short (bad) or if any resistance (let's say 300 ohms), that's bad, there is an unwanted connection inside of the cord (copper from one wire shorting into another wire).

Now take one color of wire coming out of the cord, put your red test lead on one end, take your black lead and put it on the other end. You should read 0 ohms or dead short. That means the wire has continuity and not broken. Repeat for each wire color lead coming out of the cord.

;)

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409