News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Operators Headset identify?

Started by ESS, November 21, 2011, 06:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESS

Here is an Operators headset Belonged to Mother who was operator in California. I think it's from around the late 50's but not sure... Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ed

paul-f

It looks like a 52-type headset.  You should find the number on the round disk in the transmitter boom -- visible in the second photo.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

ESS

Paul,
Sure enough...Bell 52 Made by Western Electric right on the part as you indicated!

These have any value or are they a "dime a dozen"?

Adam

I can't speak to the value of these, but I own one just like yours, and like yours, mine is also missing the pad that slips onto the wide end of the headband.  Without this pad, wearing these things is like torture.  The pad was like soft rubber, if I remember correctly.

So, if anyone has any of these pads extra, ESS could use one, and I get the next one. Please let us know.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Phonesrfun

They are generally in the dime-a-dozen category.  $5.00 to $10.00 for a nice one like the one you have.
-Bill G

paul-f

There were a LOT of operators when these were in use, so the supply tends to overwhelm the demand.   The NOS headset in the first photo sold recently for $16.50.

You may want to hang on to it so you have something to plug in to your WE 514 set, as you collect all the 500-series variations. (Second photo.)   ;D ;)

AE_Collector

That's a variant of the "Phone Lamp" that I haven't seen before!

Terry

paul-f

Terry,

You haven't been spending enough time on my site lately.

There's a back view showing the lamp mounting here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we514.htm

There's also another lamp version you may not have seen!