News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first REAL candlestick

Started by Dan, September 16, 2011, 09:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I found a GPO/kellogg frankenphone a while back, but I went to the Springfield Ohio flea market and within two minutes after arrival, I found this laying on a table under some old lace doilys. I know little about these, but I believe the dial is celluloid and it is a 2AB dial. Best of all, I connected it at home (it had a 4 prong mount) and it works. I will need to get the bells ringing. It looks all original, too (for $100 I think I did well). I am excited! :)

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Sargeguy

That's about $300 worth of phone you've got there!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bigdaddylove

I need some peanut butter 'cause I'm hella jelly!

Great score -- did you go on a whim or, was it planed? I love when I get that feeling I should go to a flea market or thrift store and POW! There's a sweet little gem of something just waiting for me.

Congrats :)

Dan

I planned to go since May.

I actually saw the subset peeking out and was just going to consider buying it, than I saw a phone connected to it under the lace. He had $115 on it and took $100. I thought it was a 4H dial  till I remembered to look at the finger stop.

This antique/flea market  show was huge. A1 Automatic electrics, a two tone AE 80, ericophons, remco toy phones, princesses, bad japanese fancy rotaries,202's, box phones,  they were all there. This was by far the gem of the day and I found it in the first five minutes and spent the next eight hours knowing I probably  wouldn't  match it. I found an old green "airflow"  oscillating fan for $15 that my sons are calling a finger chopper, but it will look cool on the office desk.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Stephen Furley

Is that a Western Electric model?

Sargeguy

Yes, it looks like a 51AL.  I see a modular plug, is that attached to the phone?  If so does it work?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Wallphone

I always thought that the 51AL was a sidetone phone with a transmitter with the screw on mouthpiece and that the 151 was anti-sidetone with the Bulldog transmitter. What does the inside of the subset look like?
Doug Pav

Dan

It is marked 151 AL on the back of the stick. Here's a picture of inside the receiver. Please enlighten me what I have, since I do not know alot about these. It works, except the bells don't ring yet.

Subset is a 534A. Matbe you guys could show me based on this piture why the bells don't ring.

LarryInMichigan

Dan,

Congratulations on a great find.  The phone, with a #2 dial, and subset are worth well over $200.

I am curious about the rubber receiver cord.  Were rubber receiver cords used on candlesticks?  How many conductors does the cord have?

Larry

Dan

It looks like it has three wires that come to the 4 pronged connector and the adapter plugs right it, and it works well (cept the ringer).

Thanks for all the kind congrats!

GG

Hi Dan- Try this:

Open up the plug (two screws near the four prongs).  Look at where the three wires are connected.  If one of those wires is screwed down to a terminal labeled "Y," try moving it first to the terminal labeled "G" (leave the existing wire that's on "G" connected there also), and then testing for ringing.  If that doesn't work, then move the wire that was connected to "Y", to the terminal labeled "R" (also leave the existing wire that's on "R" connected there also). 

This is basically the same routine as applies to WE 302s and 500s, where the Yellow wire from the base cord is connected to the same terminal on the jack or connecting block, as the green wire.   (On AE 80s, very often the Yellow wire should be connected in common with the Red wire rather than the Green wire; someone who grew up with AE 80s would naturally do it that way.)

Gary

Wow, what little I know about telephones so far, I'd never imagine that could be had for $100!  Great find!

Sargeguy

I didn't realize that 151ALs came with #2 dials and 144 transmitters, I thought that they used #4 or #5 dials, "Bulldog" transmitters and 706A receivers.  I figured that the Bulldog was a later addition, since there is no 706A receiver.  Are there any dates?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan

There is a hand written service date of 1-1934 in the subset in pencil. I can't see it on the dial, it's under a lot of wires.

Dan

Quote from: GG on September 18, 2011, 12:39:47 AM

Hi Dan- Try this:

Open up the plug (two screws near the four prongs).  Look at where the three wires are connected.  If one of those wires is screwed down to a terminal labeled "Y," try moving it first to the terminal labeled "G" (leave the existing wire that's on "G" connected there also), and then testing for ringing.  If that doesn't work, then move the wire that was connected to "Y", to the terminal labeled "R" (also leave the existing wire that's on "R" connected there also).  

This is basically the same routine as applies to WE 302s and 500s, where the Yellow wire from the base cord is connected to the same terminal on the jack or connecting block, as the green wire.   (On AE 80s, very often the Yellow wire should be connected in common with the Red wire rather than the Green wire; someone who grew up with AE 80s would naturally do it that way.)

Thanks for your help, suprisingly, all I had to do was move the ringer wire from G to L1, which is what I have to do ALL the time on 500's. Now to replace these ugly cords with some cloth ones.....