News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What telephone company is C & P Tel. Co., Please?

Started by RotoTech99, February 02, 2018, 06:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have a ATC Empress TN-5301W with C & P Tel. marked on the base. it has a WE tone dial and WE 4293J network I'm trying to find out more info. on.

They label the set as an Empress 2; the internal markings indicate it was assembled in1980, then a refurb. decal indicates it was refurbed in April,1984.

Another decal had the following code on it: M81 SL01.

I have attached a couple photos to assist someone in helping me find out more about this set.

If someone can assist me please,. I would gladly thank them.

Rototech99

Butch Harlow

C&P is Chesapeake and Potomac. it became Bell Atlantic post breakup.
Butch Harlow

RotoTech99

What do you "make" of the decal I mentioned marked "M81SL01", please? I'm guessing the SL01 is marking it as a single line set, but the "M81" I'm not sure about.

The other thing I can't figure is why they marked it as a Empress 2.. it could be because they also had the deluxe rotary version, and may have called it an Empress 1.

It would help if I could find a BSP on it, but I haven't seen anything on it in the TCI Library...so far I have an ATC practice that covers converting the early Empress using a WE 702 base and some brochures, but nothing covering the Empress sets outfitted with imdiviual WE Internals.

I'm attaching a photo of the decal I mentioned, if you can try to find out what it means please, Iwill gladly thank you.

Rototech99

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

The one thing I would like to mention in regard to my post is that nearly all of the Empress sets with WE Internals I've encountered have had the C series improved WE 9 lead hook, and either a 4228 or 4293 type network.

Aside from the Empress' deluxe handset, it's wiring is pretty much identical to a WE Design Line set with the 9 lead hookswitch, with the only possible variation being if it's a rotary or tone set.

Perhaps the only change I'd make is change the P Type ringer to one with a brass gong, to me the brass gong makes a more melodic ring tone.

kb3pxr

C&P was Chesapeake and Potomac telephone company, a part of the Bell System. C&P served Maryland, DC, West Virginia, and Virginia, not sure which company served Delaware. In the 84 Breakup, C&P, New Jersey Bell, and Bell of Pennsylvania formed Bell Atlantic which later Merged with Nynex. In 2000, Bell Atlantic Merged with GTE (a major Independent and Bell Competitor) and became Verizon (I still think drugs were involved in coming up with that name). Over the years Verizon merged with MCI (another major Bell Competitor). More recently Verizon (by Choice) divested some of their (less profitable service Territory) and that company became Frontier. Depending on the service area, C&P could be either Frontier or Verizon.

It should be noted that some parts of C&P territory adopted touch tone rather early with technical trials as early as 1960, in fact I have seen in the past year a 1500 set (with a 2500 faceplate) in Hancock, Maryland which isn't too far from Hagerstown, Maryland (which got Touch Tone rather early and was a Trial City).

compubit

Delaware was "Diamond State Telephone", which was part of the Bell Atlantic group.

The Verizon name came out of needing a unique name/word that didn't exist, but could sound like it could...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!