News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Happy Birthday twocvBloke

Started by WesternElectricBen, August 08, 2013, 11:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Happy birthday, we wish you many phones!

stub

Just got in, hope you had a great BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

dsk

twocvbloke

Thanks, didn't really get anything for my birthday, but I did get some money (mostly to buy a replacement PSU for the warp plasma television), not much but I think I just spent it on a lawnmower engine... :D

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 09, 2013, 04:12:46 AM
Thanks, didn't really get anything for my birthday, but I did get some money (mostly to buy a replacement PSU for the warp plasma television), not much but I think I just spent it on a lawnmower engine... :D

Tired of fixing a lawnmower? Get a vintage Lawn-Boy! I'm not sure if they sell them over the big pond though..

Ben

southernphoneman

twocvbloke

Quote from: southernphoneman on August 09, 2013, 11:27:12 AM
happy birthday to twocvbloke  :) ;)

Thanks... :)

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 09, 2013, 11:03:21 AMTired of fixing a lawnmower? Get a vintage Lawn-Boy! I'm not sure if they sell them over the big pond though..

Ben

I've never fixed a lawnmower before, this one was a side-of-the-road salvage, needs a new pullstarter, fuel tank and a couple of other bits, and it was cheaper to buy a used engine with all the parts and keep the rest of it as spares than it was to buy a kit to replace it's combined fuel tank + pullstarter thing... :D

The engine is a Sumec-Linhai SV150, a clone of a Briggs & Stratton engine or two (partly the "Classic" and partly the "Quantum" apparently), the combined fuel tank & starter is prone to breaking and the tank splitting (great for having a lawnmower BBQ!!), and a retrofitting kit cost about the same as the mostly complete engine I bought, only I have more spares with the engine than just the kit alone... :D

It's a project for play really, never fixed an engine before, so, it's a bit of a first for me, but once I get it working it'll be useful to have, and even if I break the mower itself, I could probably use the engine to make a go-kart or something... ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 09, 2013, 04:12:46 AM
Happy Birthday!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 09, 2013, 03:27:07 PM
Quote from: southernphoneman on August 09, 2013, 11:27:12 AM
happy birthday to twocvbloke  :) ;)

Thanks... :)

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 09, 2013, 11:03:21 AMTired of fixing a lawnmower? Get a vintage Lawn-Boy! I'm not sure if they sell them over the big pond though..

Ben

I've never fixed a lawnmower before, this one was a side-of-the-road salvage, needs a new pullstarter, fuel tank and a couple of other bits, and it was cheaper to buy a used engine with all the parts and keep the rest of it as spares than it was to buy a kit to replace it's combined fuel tank + pullstarter thing... :D

The engine is a Sumec-Linhai SV150, a clone of a Briggs & Stratton engine or two (partly the "Classic" and partly the "Quantum" apparently), the combined fuel tank & starter is prone to breaking and the tank splitting (great for having a lawnmower BBQ!!), and a retrofitting kit cost about the same as the mostly complete engine I bought, only I have more spares with the engine than just the kit alone... :D

It's a project for play really, never fixed an engine before, so, it's a bit of a first for me, but once I get it working it'll be useful to have, and even if I break the mower itself, I could probably use the engine to make a go-kart or something... ;D

Gocart would be cool; I have always wanted one..

Ben

HarrySmith

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ;D

The lawnmower story brings back memories for me. When I was a teenager my income mostly came from lawnmowers. I used to go to the town dump and pull out all the lawnmowers. I would flip them up and try to turn the blade, if there was resistance that meant the engine still had compression. Most of the ones that were thrown away were only a season or two old, they would not start because they needed points! Not many people knew they had points and even less knew how to get to them! It involved removing the blade and then a small cover. The points cost me $2 or $3 and they usually ran fine! I would then clean it up and sell a nice running mower for $50 -$60. That was a fortune for a kid back then!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Thanks... :D

I do wish I grew up in an earlier era, where the general public was allowed to salvage things from the dump, these days it sucks because of health & safety, be it rifling through piles of goodies, hauling it out & carrying to a vehicle, fixing it up, selling it on, it's covered with so much red tape, it makes reusing repairable things feel illegal, even though it's not, it's just restricted cos people are more interested in scrap value rather than true value... :(

You get accused of stealing if you pick something up you want to salvage, even if you offer to buy it for a few £s, can't even do that now cos the local dumps are run by private companies, and all they're interested in is making money off our waste so refuse to sell off anything to the general public... :-\

Still, the bits I've managed to save over the years have been worth it in terms of keeping me busy with hobbies, if I didn't have those I'd go stir-crazy... :D

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 09, 2013, 05:46:57 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ;D

The lawnmower story brings back memories for me. When I was a teenager my income mostly came from lawnmowers. I used to go to the town dump and pull out all the lawnmowers. I would flip them up and try to turn the blade, if there was resistance that meant the engine still had compression. Most of the ones that were thrown away were only a season or two old, they would not start because they needed points! Not many people knew they had points and even less knew how to get to them! It involved removing the blade and then a small cover. The points cost me $2 or $3 and they usually ran fine! I would then clean it up and sell a nice running mower for $50 -$60. That was a fortune for a kid back then!

That's a cool story, I have a toro and a lawn boy both atleast 20 yrs old, but the have solid state ignition.

Ben

twocvbloke

That's one of the things that intrigues me about the ignition on the mower I have, it's basically just a magneto setup, as the magnet on the flywheel passes the coil, it generates a high voltage current to initiate the spark, simple but clever... ;D

That's a thought, I need to order a new plug & cap for the engine, the spares one comes with them, but I'd rather I had the NGK ones I found for a lot less than the "cheap" brands too... :D