News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

140AL Candlestick wiring to RJ11 plug

Started by Bob Brockway, July 22, 2015, 11:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Brockway

I think it is a 323 transmitter, I'll double check when I get home. I'm afraid I don't know enough (yet) about the receivers to ID it. I'll do some research and see if I can figure it out. I told you I was new to this stuff, but wanting to learn more! What would I look for to ID the receiver?

unbeldi

Here is a way to distinguish:

When the cap is unscrewed from a 144 type receiver, you will find a separate diaphragm and an exposed electromagnet.  See the first picture below.  This is the old type that was used until ca. 1937.  When the HA1 receiver capsule was finished for use in the 302 combined desk telephone's handset, they also started upgrading old candlesticks with it and called it the 706 receiver. This is shown in the illustration in the second picture, which came from Catalog No. 11 of 1950. The HA1 receiver capsule cannot be opened without destruction to expose the magnet and diaphragm.

Bob Brockway

It has the 144 type receiver and a 323 transmitter. We don't get a lot of calls to our home land line (mostly to our cells), but someone called last night and I got to use the phone. That was a kick. The other party said it sounded fine. Thanks again, I have always wanted one of these since I saw one in an antique shop about 40 or 50 years ago. Here's a picture of it.

unbeldi

Quote from: Bob Brockway on July 29, 2015, 04:22:19 PM
It has the 144 type receiver and a 323 transmitter. We don't get a lot of calls to our home land line (mostly to our cells), but someone called last night and I got to use the phone. That was a kick. The other party said it sounded fine. Thanks again, I have always wanted one of these since I saw one in an antique shop about 40 or 50 years ago.

Very awesome!
And thanks for the picture.  That is a really nice instrument and it even has a number card frame installed. Those alone can cost a small fortune, compared to the amount of metal received back, and provide a nice accent.  They are quite hard to find.